Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2920 hanging

• neilb1701
  • Topic Author
More
18 Mar 2013 08:50 #75603 by neilb1701
Vigor 2920 hanging was created by neilb1701
Hi I hope someone can help.

We have a 2920 running with two ADSL lines. After about 5 or 6 days of operation without issues the router will drop both WAN's and freeze up. No management console operation, the only way to clear the issue is to turn off and back on again. The router will again work for almost a week before the same issue.

On the front of the router when it freezes you see the cable connection lights for the two WAN's and LAN plus the act light blinking. But the WAN1 and WAN2 lights are not on.

Both the ADSL providers confirm that there lines are working correctly and can test the line up to the Draytek.

Any idea what might be causing the issue. The 2920 is running the latest firmware.

Thanks

Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2013 10:51 #75604 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Vigor 2920 hanging
I would say to check at WAN >> General Setup the wan 1 & 2 the Active Mode: is always ON and enable both connections (YES) or any strange phenomenon at this page (i have all the others settings off)

IF is Not pain for you & If this don't helps i would say to do manual master reset and load the latest *rst firmware file again after the master reset
do all settings back from the begin with out using any config file

If is pain to master reset & load again the firmware with *rst file ... you can also get a beta here http://www.sendspace.com/file/6h1b69 ("Click here to start download from sendspace" down of the page blue button)

I have uploaded from Polish FTP due to an other case (- Note is down by now from Polish FTP) so just use the only *all file and over write your current latest 3.6.3 firmware as is a 3.6.3 firmware as well with just added small features(Just load it with out master reset - will overwrite and work as normal with your current settings)
I am using it with out problems but if you worry about the beta i have uploaded ... you can contact support if they have an other one

More
09 Jun 2013 10:16 #76457 by dunedinit
Replied by dunedinit on topic Re: Vigor 2920 hanging
Having the exact same issues expect ours now fails on daily basis usually at night when we've left the office. We have checked both ADSL lines connected via 120.

Going to try what babis3g is recommending. Although I'm feeling we might of out grown this model of Draytek router.

More
09 Jun 2013 12:00 #76458 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Vigor 2920 hanging
HI ... the above link is not working anymore because was free account & so is only available for only few days
Latest firmware is 3.6.4 by now from here and i would say to use the *rst* (will clean all settings)
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2920/Firmware/v3.6.4/
The reason using *rst* file is because few draytek users when a new firmware comes out they upgrading with *all file so by time if keep doing this bugs staying due to new features or from previous firmwares ... so in other words by time causing issues

If this is Not the case with firmware & you you did not updated each new firmware with *all file then ... i am posting few possible cases to check

Fails at daily basis can you check if the PSU of the 2920 is not connected at the wall socket with electric extension having many devices plugged in... if yes try plug it alone and see if the issue is better

Another point to investigate for the Vigors 120 ...
i have read if they are on all times for very long periods(like 6 months continuously use, switched on) may causing problems (for some users) ... so you maybe think is the 2920??? i don't know if due to the heat

Try place them where can be ventilated
Switch off one of them for 1 day to cool down and then plug it in if is better the next day ... then try with the other ... or just one day or evening let the connection off and see if is better

Try first the firmware with a clean installation ... if is not much settings to put back from the begin manually

More
15 Jun 2013 10:50 #76600 by jeffpatrick51
Replied by jeffpatrick51 on topic Re: Vigor 2920 hanging
Hi

we have a similar issue with a 2920. Ours stays connected though so I can log in from the internet side. Its just virtually no traffic is routed through from LAN side.

We have 2 120's connected to different ISP's.

it happens every few days, sometimes up to a week or so. Its in an air conditioned comms room so it shouldn't be overheating. A reboot of the 2920 fixes the issue. I don't need to touch the 120's.

We are on 3.6.3

I've asked out supplier can we send it back

More
16 Jun 2013 23:40 #76633 by dunedinit
Replied by dunedinit on topic Re: Vigor 2920 hanging
Fixed!

I reset the router back to factory settings, re-enter all the settings back in manually and it hasn't hanged since!

Although the I do expect the issue to re-occur as I think our network monitoring system is overloading the 2920.

Yes babis3g I was thinking that maybe the 120 are over heating but we do often reboot them although we don't switch them off for long periods.

Jamie

Moderators: Sami