Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

User management and monitoring/logging suggestions

• jhotchkiss
  • Topic Author
More
17 May 2013 12:45 #76234 by jhotchkiss
Hi there,

We have a Vigor 2830n FW - firmware: 3.6.3_sb_232201
Machines all on Windows Domain (so account authentication would ideally be using RADIUS using their domain accounts)
I want to begin logging all internet usage for my networks users (roughly 20 currently) but i'm not sure exactly how to configure this (i find the user manual for the Vigor very vague and also things like "URL Content Filter" rules appear to be all over the place leaving me confused with where and how i configure it all.)

Could someone please confirm if my plan below is correct and also the best solution for the following requirements:

User web usage logging i.e. pages visited, when etc, possibly file download tracking too.
Currently internet access is "Rule-Based" and no user accounts on the FW are configured/used.
I plan to change this to "User-Based"
Question: Do i need to configure user objects for every user or will RADIUS take care of it?
Question: Am I right in thinking that users will only be asked for account details if they try to do anything outside of my FW filter rules?
Configure "SmartMonitor" on a machine directly connected to the Vigor FW and log things from there
Question: Is this necessary or can i simply use a SysLog server for this logging?

URL & content management/blocking etc (Using Facebook purely as an example)
Create new "Keyword Object" for Facebook setting, with keyword of "facebook" (Under "Object Settings > Keyword Object")
Create new "URL content. profile" with keyword object Facebook (Under "CSM > URL Content Filter Prof.")
Question: Does this then apply to all web traffic or do i need to apply this elsewhere? i.e. "Firewall . General Setup > Default rule" and/or "Firewall > Filter Setup > Filter Set > Filter rule" ... which one, its SO confusing

I also plan to then activate the Global View Web Content Filter Service (Paid subscription?)
Question: would this make the previous URL content management steps not necessary and therefore this is the best and simplest way to do it all?

Thanks in advance for your help. I hope the questions are straight forward to answer.

Kind regards

J

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2013 19:33 #77826 by adminlcs
Hi There, i know its a late reply but i don't think it is possible.....i've tried setting this up and it just doesnt work.

Also bearing in mind the date of your post it doesn't look like anyone from draytek is interested in giving you an idea on how to set it up.

If i get anything back i will let you know

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami