DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2860, support for Sky MER?

More
06 Aug 2013 20:29 #77262 by simonmpoulton
Replied by simonmpoulton on topic Re: Vigor 2860, support for Sky MER?
Can't wireshark the inbuilt VDSL modem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2013 22:51 #77264 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Vigor 2860, support for Sky MER?
Rorton: 2830's firmware can't send the right details unless you've got a beta from Draytek, it sends in the wrong format :(

I recommend checking if your username / password are really correct by getting a packet capture from the FTTC port on your Sky router - just start the capture in Wireshark with the PC plugged into the FTTC / Ethernet WAN port on the Sky router, set the display filter to "bootp" and you should see the DHCP packet sent out by the Sky router with your full username and password in there :)

More
07 Aug 2013 00:40 #77269 by simonmpoulton
Replied by simonmpoulton on topic Re: Vigor 2860, support for Sky MER?
Thanks for your response Voodle. I did indeed wield wireshark however there was nothing wrong with the username/password. It worked fine on a Billion router so I knew that already.
The issue is that Draytek's firmware engineers thought it was a good idea to send DHCP option 60 Vendor Identifier = "Vigor2860n" and there is no way of changing this. Sky's DHCP server is clearly fussy in some parts of the country and will reject anything which sends DHCP Option 60 with the wrong string. The correct string would be "6.14.1a4N_UNI|PCBAFAST2504Nv1.0" My Billion router does not send Option 60 at all so it clearly isn't required to connect. I can confirm that the Draytek is sending Option 61 correctly but it is no good if it is sending option 60 wrongly or basically saying to Sky's server "Hey look, I'm not the official sky router!" I can only assume Voodle that the DHCP server your connected to is not fussy over receiving bad DHCP 60 data.
All draytek need to do is either 1) Offer an option for setting the Option 60 vendor ID or 2) Switch off Option 60 completely or 3) Keep Option 60 but with the option to turn it off

I have sent my findings directly to Draytek and I hope they will sort this out

• almutairi2020
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Aug 2013 01:31 #77270 by almutairi2020
Replied by almutairi2020 on topic Re: Vigor 2860, support for Sky MER?
hello ,,

simonmpoulton how are you ?

what is the frameware R6 ,, is it for 2860n ,

and from where you got it ,,

because I try the RC3 with my ISP but does not work ,,

If you have it would you please upload it ..

I will try may it will work with my VDSL line ..

best regard ..

More
07 Aug 2013 08:14 #77273 by voodle
Replied by voodle on topic Re: Vigor 2860, support for Sky MER?

simonmpoulton wrote: Thanks for your response Voodle. I did indeed wield wireshark however there was nothing wrong with the username/password. It worked fine on a Billion router so I knew that already.
The issue is that Draytek's firmware engineers thought it was a good idea to send DHCP option 60 Vendor Identifier = "Vigor2860n" and there is no way of changing this. Sky's DHCP server is clearly fussy in some parts of the country and will reject anything which sends DHCP Option 60 with the wrong string. The correct string would be "6.14.1a4N_UNI|PCBAFAST2504Nv1.0" My Billion router does not send Option 60 at all so it clearly isn't required to connect. I can confirm that the Draytek is sending Option 61 correctly but it is no good if it is sending option 60 wrongly or basically saying to Sky's server "Hey look, I'm not the official sky router!" I can only assume Voodle that the DHCP server your connected to is not fussy over receiving bad DHCP 60 data.
All draytek need to do is either 1) Offer an option for setting the Option 60 vendor ID or 2) Switch off Option 60 completely or 3) Keep Option 60 but with the option to turn it off

I have sent my findings directly to Draytek and I hope they will sort this out

Those are some interesting findings :) I have to admit I wasn't paying attention to option 60 but I guess some Sky DHCP servers are more finnicky like you say and it's good to know you have it working with that billion router too

• mrt0ad
  • Topic Author
More
15 Aug 2013 14:24 #77421 by mrt0ad
Replied by mrt0ad on topic Re: Vigor 2860, support for Sky MER?
Thank you everyone for your contributions and Voodle for your informative reply.

So, as of now the answer is "maybe", depending on which DHCP server happens to answer your query...

Hopefully Draytek engineers will take heed of your findings and address the glitch with option 60 (Ideally make it user editable like option 61 just in case Sky decides to implement that as well) and "maybe" will become "yes".

For now I will stick to my pfSense enabled x750e.

Moderators: Sami