DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830 How many users?

• johncarr
  • Topic Author
More
06 Sep 2013 13:05 #77622 by johncarr
2830 How many users? was created by johncarr
I have a hotel with a 2830 router being used for the Wi-Fi network. A cisco employee has recently stayed there complained to the manager saying the router isn't suitable for this hotel which has around 50 rooms. Below is his email

>>Firstly, the main problem that I experienced on the network was caused by inadequate network address translation (NAT/PAT). In layman's terms, the router that is serving your network is unable to keep track of all of the clients that are trying to connect at the same time. The router may be able to handle a home network, a coffee shop or a small Bed and Breakfast, but it is not able to deal with the number of simultaneous connections that you would expect in a hotel your size. The main evidence of this is that when I try to load a web page or download a moderate size file, the transaction starts off very rapidly (showing that the connection bandwidth is adequate) but then stalls. This is because the router has lost the association between my device and the server, so the remaining data from the server is mis-directed.<<

Question - Forgetting the potential Wi-Fi and broadband issues, how many users should a 2830 be able to service if they were connected by ethernet (this router isn't being used as a Wi-Fi router).

Thanks
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2013 07:19 #77652 by chris.marsh
Replied by chris.marsh on topic Re: 2830 How many users?
John,

I would e-mail your inquiry to Draytek Support http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/techquery.html

Regards

Chris

Regards

Chris Marsh

More
12 Sep 2013 21:19 #77685 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2830 How many users?
I can't remember offhand but the Vigor2830 can probably hold 50,000 NAT sessions, so if it's
running out there are either 5,000 bedrooms, or maybe clients are doing bad stuff which is
generating thousands of connections, maybe torrents...in which case the hotel should
prohibit such illegal usage*

However, there's not really enough info in your message to know exactly what the problem is,
and he doesn't say how big the hotel is... and it might be the bellboy doing the torrents :-)

*Yes, I know Torrents are not illegal... they can be used for downloading legal
stuff... okay, hardly anyone does...but it's wrong to assume all torrent users
are criminals.... except that statistically it's a reasonable assumption :-)

Forum Administrator

Moderators: Sami