DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2800Vg Firmware Upgrade Issue

• chris.marsh
  • Topic Author
More
09 Sep 2013 16:41 #77643 by chris.marsh
2800Vg Firmware Upgrade Issue was created by chris.marsh
Firstly I know this is an old router, but I have a client who whole estate is populated with these bad boys and they have a couple of spares at Head Office.

A couple of days ago at one of their branches a router failed, no problem there I thought send one of the spares from Head Office direct to the Branch were I talked the Manager through loging onto the router and restoring a backup. Job done or so I thought.

I then remotely logged onto the router and noted that the firmware was a real old version that didn't support ADSL2+; so I tried to remotely update the firmware and this where I hit a brick wall. Now I have updated firmware in the past so this isn't anything new to me.

I initiated the process on the router so it was waiting for the upload and loaded Firmware Upgrade V.3.6.5 (Windows) on my desktop but after a short while I get a TimeOut Message. After three attempts (rebooting the router each time) I wondered if the current firmware was so old that I downloaded the original Windows TFTP Client Utility (V3.02) and tried that but I received the same TimeOut Error?

I then thought OK lets be a bit cleaver here and I tried to update the firmware using CuteFTP but still no success?

Any ideas or thoughts?

Regards

Chris

Regards

Chris Marsh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2013 20:43 #77649 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2800Vg Firmware Upgrade Issue
Latest firmware is 2.8.2

For the time outs follow this order to avoid them (have the upgrade tool ready and stand by first)

-Disable temporary firewall at pc
-use ethernet cable & not via wifi
-open first the utility upgrade tool 3.6.5
-Check the ip usally by default is 192.168.1.1 so type this at the upgrade tool (if you have change the default ip type the new one)
-load 2.8.2 the rst file(will delete all setting to avoid previous bugs or mismatching ... so do back all from the begin manually if not much work)
-password leave it blank or use the new one if you have change it

Now press and hold gently the small reset hall button ... turn on the modem while the reset button is still under gently press ... and while the leds flashing ... let go the small reset button ... and press the send button at the upgrade tool before the leds at modem stops flashing fast

• chris.marsh
  • Topic Author
More
10 Sep 2013 06:57 #77651 by chris.marsh
Replied by chris.marsh on topic Re: 2800Vg Firmware Upgrade Issue
Babis3g:

Thank you for your input but since I'm more than 200 miles away and trying to complete this remotely I would find this procedure difficult. I have remotely upgraded routers in the past as the whole estate is running 2.8.2.

I think I'll get Head Office to send another new spare to me and I'll try to update it here and then restore the backup before I then send it direct to the Branch.

Regards

Chris

Regards

Chris Marsh

More
10 Sep 2013 15:17 #77659 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2800Vg Firmware Upgrade Issue
apologise did not see you was trying remotely ...
http://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1214:faq-article-1214&Itemid=293&lang=en
the process i mentioned was if some one was right next of the equipment :oops:

Moderators: Sami