Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Internet usage monitoring - Not possible

• adminlcs
  • Topic Author
More
21 Sep 2013 07:06 #77751 by adminlcs
Support,

I have a 2830 Router with the latest firmware 3.6.4sb

I have setup the logins on the router for all employees, configured a landing page, setup to syslog everything, installed and setup smartmonitor, created user accounts against the pc ip address's (why this would be needed due to the logins is beyond me) checked the reports and found that one pc shows the web access, all the others show the ip data but no web urls...

I've checked the forum, google and a lot of web pages and have found nothing at all..... what am i missing

I have ticked all the boxes to record the http data but nothing

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated (though by the look of 2 other posts, one in march and one in may i doubt i'll get anything)

Thanks

rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2013 10:05 #77768 by voodle
Well Smartmonitor can't do anything with HTTPS / encrypted traffic apart from log the amount of data used, so maybe that's not helping? Google do encrypt their searches a lot now but that doesn't mean the whole internet is HTTPS now.

Also it can't monitor wireless through the router's wireless interface, you have to use a separate AP if you want to monitor wireless clients - why is this? Because the router can't mirror packets from its wireless interface to the LAN switch ports (which is what smartmonitor operates off of), I'm assuming without causing a Huge performance hit that would make it not worth doing.

Also you do have to set up the LAN - mirror port stuff and plug smart monitor into the mirror port for it to gather any actual data, it has to be receiving all the traffic on the network to gather the data you want to see :)

• adminlcs
  • Topic Author
More
01 Oct 2013 19:29 #77825 by adminlcs
Replied by adminlcs on topic Re: Internet usage monitoring - Not possible
Hi Voodle,

Thanks for the details, at present there are no wireless clients its just the desktop users that i need to monitor, the smart monitor pc is plugged into the monitor port and all the desktops are running of a switch plugged into the another port on the router.

I am getting all the traffic data no problem through smart monitor it is just not telling me the websites the users are going to.

The users login through the router to get to the internet, each pc ip address is static and is associated with the persons name.

The manual for the draytek states it will monitor the internet traffic and give a report but it is only reporting on one pc (connecting to avast.com)

I've almost lost the will to live and am considering getting something else

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated

More
12 Mar 2015 14:20 #82937 by chrissybhoy
Replied by chrissybhoy on topic Re: Internet usage monitoring - Not possible
Did you manage to get any joy with this, having the same problem.

Chris

More
16 Mar 2015 10:18 #82977 by rolandrat
Replied by rolandrat on topic Re: Internet usage monitoring - Not possible
I gave up on smartmonitor ages ago, just never found it reliable enough and as you have found it doesnt show half of what is going on.
I use Wfilter (imfirewall) to monitor my network, and it also can be used to block stuff also - the full version which I have is very powerful stuff.

Moderators: Sami