DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Optimal DLM / IP Profile strategy with 2860n

More
03 Oct 2013 11:39 #77861 by gm268
Hello all

I have recently set up a BT Infinity 2 connection (BT wholesale via XILO as ISP) using a new Vigor 2860n. It was working brilliantly for a week or so, syncing at the maximum 80/20 and with speedtest results at c.75/18 - great stuff.

A couple of days ago there was a wobble on my phone line (I had an intermittent dial tone). As a result my 2860n has re-synced at a slower connection and my IP profile has dropped. I've done a bit of reading around about BT's DLM and I understand that the best thing to do is to leave the modem synced to persuade the cabinet/exchange that the line is stable, and then the IP profile will creep up so that the line speed will be gradually increased back up to the maximum, with the benefit enjoyed once a new PPPoE connection is established. With the 2860n being a combined VDSL modem/router I presume that both modem sync and PPPoE connection is reset if I reboot it.

I'm happy to leave things alone for a few weeks and not reboot (and therefore not res-syncing the modem), but then I'd like to enjoy the full speeds again, which means resetting the PPPoE connection, but that means rebooting the Vigor, which means re-syncing the modem, ad infinitum etc. etc.

Hope I've explained my query - what is my best strategy for getting things back to normal?

ANy tips/advice/corrections to my understanding gratefully received...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2013 12:42 #77866 by babis3g
The problem is to check with your isp web status to see if is any issue in your area which may be for a while holding the speeds

Assuming all is fine the dlm may take days to put the profile up assuming again the connection will not be interrupted again

One trick you can try is to leave it 2-3 days and the 3-4th to give a reboot ... it should synchronize little higher ... then again after 1-2 days give one more ... this is the faster way but not sure if will work (so not blame if get worse :wink: ) because are involved other factors with the line ... or leave it on for 7-10 days and then a reboot to get the highest possible rates available at the time

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami