DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Poor DSL and WIFI Performance of 2860 versus Linksys WAG320N

• redback911
  • Topic Author
More
05 Oct 2013 12:45 #77881 by redback911
We live in a rural area and have a poor DSL connection. We previously used a WAG320N and would connect to the DSLAM:

Download 4096 Kbps
Upload 448 Kbps

I just installed a new 2860n and immediately the DSL speeds dropped to:

Download 3000 Kbps
Upload 128 Kbps

Which is a 24% decrease in speed. Our ISP (ZEN) also shows that our IP connection profile took a hit as well:

Previously with WAG320N
Upstream 448
Downstream 3500
Synch 4000
BRAS Profile asds3500

Now with 2860n
Upstream 0
Downstream 2500
Synch 2848
BRAS Profile asds2500

Also our Wifi coverage dropped significantly with the 2860n. Using inSSIDEr I see:

WAG320N provides a wifi signal to my study at -68db
2860n provides a wifi signal to my study at -92db

Obviously the locations are identical, and I tried to adjust the various WiFi settings of the 2860n to boost the signal and ensure no collisions occur. As mentioned, we are rural and have no neighbors or overlapping Wifi networks.

So my initial impressions of the Vigor2860 are very poor compared to Cisco/Linksys device that is 3 years old. I guess the Wifi and DSL chipsets are superior in the WAG320N. The main reason for the Vigor is that we are due to have satellite installed next week and I had planned to load balance across the DSL and satellite using a single box (Vigor). Considering the poor DSL and Wifi performance I am tempted to ship the product directly back and see if I can get a credit instead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• redback911
  • Topic Author
More
05 Oct 2013 12:48 #77882 by redback911
I should also add that I upgraded the firmware from v3.7.1 to v3.7.3 with no difference in Wifi or DSL performance.

More
05 Oct 2013 22:35 #77883 by babis3g
Hi ... about the wifi can not comment much ... apart to try turn the antennas left right little backwards etc if will make difference
About the DSL issue must be not perfect match with your local dslam ... but if you go at WAN >> General Setup>>DSL Modem Code & try some of them ... it may bring up little more speed ... perhaps about 500kb more

• redback911
  • Topic Author
More
06 Oct 2013 09:47 #77884 by redback911

babis3g wrote: Hi ... about the wifi can not comment much ... apart to try turn the antennas left right little backwards etc if will make difference
About the DSL issue must be not perfect match with your local dslam ... but if you go at WAN >> General Setup>>DSL Modem Code & try some of them ... it may bring up little more speed ... perhaps about 500kb more

Re: WiFi

Doh! "antennas"...

I really must check the entire box when opening things. I saw the connectors on the device but figured it was a separate part you could order. Thanks for the tip! Wifi ("Hello World" is now far better than WAG320N:

Re: DSL - I did change the Modem Code when I initially installed the device and I thought I stepped through each type with no significant improvement. However will try again. If I could just get similar performance on the DSL to the WAG320N it would be great. It may not sound like much but the difference from 200Kbs to 300Kbs is huge for general web usage, YouTube, iPlayer, etc.

Moderators: Sami