DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2850 dropping adsl line

• unusual12345678
  • Topic Author
More
08 Oct 2013 20:36 #77897 by unusual12345678
Vigor 2850 dropping adsl line was created by unusual12345678
I have a problem with a Vigor 2850 intermittently dropping the adsl line. I has been going on for months and now that I have analysed the logs over this period I can see a definite pattern (times of day) that suggests interference of some kind by some kind of human activity. So I have stopped thinking that it might be a problem with the exchange or internet provider and started looking for other solutions.

I don't think it is anything we are doing because the line was dropping while we were away for the weekend.

Upgrading to the latest router firmware has made no difference.

Disabling the wireless LAN seems to fix the problem completely.

I have now tried changing wireless LAN channels. It was on 2.4 GHz channel 6, but changing to 2.4 GHz channel 1 or 2.4 GHz channel 9 makes no difference.

Changing to 5GHz makes no difference either.

The newer Vigor routers seem rather sensitive to interference. I have a 2830 at work which drops the adsl line if I have a particular PC and monitor on the other side of the office both switched on at once and connected together. I solved that problem by plugging the monitor into a socket in a different room which happens to be on a different electricity phase.

I can solve this problem by disabling the Wireless LAN but that's not a satisfactory solution for obvious reasons.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2013 22:58 #77900 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Vigor 2850 dropping adsl line
Hi ... Only posting suggestion for the adsl problem
The 2830 & 2850 has the same chipset for their modem

I think 3 reasons for internet adsl drop of the line

a) perhaps the 2830 had different mode code from the 2850 ... check & try the same as the 2830 one
You will see after the firmware name few numbers example 232201 ... this is the modem code ... try first the 2471201 but see my other writing below

b)If both (2830 & 2850) has same mode codes) if your isp is different from the office than home ... then it may be the "match" with the line ... this can cost drops (even if isa the same isp) because at home may be longer line with more moise ... still worth to give a go at modem codes

c)an other reason less affected ... ( i have draytek for years and even a small per cent of the reason c) i mention can make effect) ... when loading newest firmwares (not just modem codes of the same firmware) the *RST* file should apply ... i know is pain and few people is not doing it specially when they have many setting to set back up from the begin ... but the *RST* file it cleans previous bugs and helps out mismatching bugs/settings from previous firmwares
Perhaps in the office did not upgrade for long time because too many work or no time or if is working don't touch :) so the 2830 working fine ???

Maybe a when you have time backup and master reset the 2850 ... load via firmware upgrade the latest 4.6.4.1 (but the *RST* file) and see when the wifi is on again .. if still has issue after a clean reload of the firmware
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2850/Firmware/v3.6.4.1/Annex%20A/

• unusual12345678
  • Topic Author
More
08 Oct 2013 23:47 #77901 by unusual12345678
Replied by unusual12345678 on topic Re: Vigor 2850 dropping adsl line
Thanks for the suggestions.

I see 2471201 after the firmware vesion on the 2850.

I now have the Wireless LAN disabled (on the 2850) and have an old Netgear WG602 Access Point connected to one of the 2850's Ethernet ports.

So I have wireless internet access via the Access Point and so far no line drops.

So far so good. It will take a couple of days to be sure if this has solved the problem.

I will report back.

• unusual12345678
  • Topic Author
More
09 Oct 2013 08:45 #77904 by unusual12345678
Using the Wireless Access Point did not solve the problem.

I now have the Wireless Access Point switched on but disconnected from the 2850.

More
09 Oct 2013 09:58 #77905 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Vigor 2850 dropping adsl line
Can you do a clean firmware update using *rst* file & the latest firmware from the link? Then back all settings from the begin?
i think if you have 3.6.3 had issue with some HTC or similar devices ... what firmware have you got?

• unusual12345678
  • Topic Author
More
09 Oct 2013 11:26 #77908 by unusual12345678
I did have a problem with a HTC One X making the router reboot but an update to 3.6.3 beta fixed that problem.

This new problem started way after fixing the HTC One X problem.

The firmware is now 3.6.4.

If I update the firmware with an RST file, will I be able to restore ALL settings from a Configuration Backup file?

Moderators: Sami