DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830 significantly slower than 2820 on FTTC

• mikeysoft
  • Topic Author
More
14 Oct 2013 13:02 #77967 by mikeysoft
Had FTTC broadband installed recently. Throughput tests using the BT Wholesale speedtest website for my 2830n report 53 down, 15-16 up. I was quite surprised by this as I'm syncing at a full 80/20 (very close to the cabinet).

So I tried my old 2820n and achieved 71-72 down, 15-16 up.

Both have QoS and Bandwidth Limit turned off, and the firewall on. I turned the firewall off on the 2830n and it made no difference. The speed tests are consistent - I can swap between routers, back-to-back, and consistently get the above results.

I'm very surprised that a) the 2830 isn't able to achieve my true throughput rate, b) that the 2820 outperforms the 2830, as the 2830 is supposed to be a 90mbps firewall?!

I'm slightly suspicious of the 2830's 53mbps throuhgput figure, as this is almost exactly 25% lower than that of the 2820's.

Has anyone else had this problem? What are other people achieving on FTTC or VM broadband on services >=70Mbit?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2013 14:14 #77971 by babis3g
Right now i don't have FTTC but you can do some tricks if will help speed

1-
First telnet (very careful there) and set MTU 1492 because funny is not available at the WUI (by default is set at 1442 and does matter with FTTC)
the command is "wan mtu2 1492" and to check if it worked type "wan mtu2 ?"
To enable telnet go to : System Maintenance >> Management >> Allow management from the Internet >> Telnet server and also needs to enable from the pc as well

2-
Wan >> general set up >> wan 1 ... disable complete (enable NO) ... to me seems stolen some power from CPU if both wans are on

Try order 1 then 2 which will reboot at step 2 (after changes made at wan section) and see if is any speed improvement :)

• mikeysoft
  • Topic Author
More
15 Oct 2013 22:10 #77995 by mikeysoft
Replied by mikeysoft on topic Re: 2830 significantly slower than 2820 on FTTC

babis3g wrote: Right now i don't have FTTC but you can do some tricks if will help speed

1-
First telnet (very careful there) and set MTU 1492 because funny is not available at the WUI (by default is set at 1442 and does matter with FTTC)
the command is "wan mtu2 1492" and to check if it worked type "wan mtu2 ?"
To enable telnet go to : System Maintenance >> Management >> Allow management from the Internet >> Telnet server and also needs to enable from the pc as well

2-
Wan >> general set up >> wan 1 ... disable complete (enable NO) ... to me seems stolen some power from CPU if both wans are on

Try order 1 then 2 which will reboot at step 2 (after changes made at wan section) and see if is any speed improvement :)

Thanks for the reply. I set the MTU for WAN2 to 1492 (it was as you say 1442), however this made no difference, and when I checked my 2820 via CLI it too was set to 1442 on WAN2, yet achieves 72-73Mbps down vs ~53-55Mbps down on the 2830.

I'd already turned off WAN1.

The only way I have been able to achieve a slight increase in the 2830's WAN2 speed is to disable the Firewall DoS fully, which increases performance up to ~60Mbps.

Very disappointed with the performance of the 2830, especially given the older 2820 can achieve much higher speeds on WAN2.

Is anyone else having WAN2 (VDSL / cable) speed issues with their 2830s?

Moderators: Sami