DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2850 - unable to access web config after login.

• mercury
  • Topic Author
More
22 Oct 2013 19:14 #78041 by mercury
Hi,

Odd one this but my Dad's 2850 is now no longer displaying the web configurator after a normal login. All that happens is that there is a short delay and then the browser redirects to Draytek.com!

I have had him try Safari, Chrome and IE but all give the same result. Pinging the router shows no issues but he simply cannot get the web config to come up at all. Normal power cycling to force a restart does not improve the situation. The router was configured not to use VDSL at all, but now seems to be trying it every so often.

Given that his ADSL is now also unstable and keeps dropping at specific times - no rules were setup - and his ISP does not use traffic profiling, the line is OK and he is well below his usage limits, I am starting to think the 2850 must have had a tizzy fit and needs a factory reset.

Any other suggestions before I go over there, trash the config and build it from the ground up?

I believe it is probably on 3.6.3 or possibly earlier but can't check. He has never updated it and it's approx a year old or thereabouts.

Vigor 2600, 2820vn, 2850Vn, AP700v1, AP800, N65.
Radio Engineer & IT Project Manager

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Oct 2013 20:31 #78042 by babis3g
it seems a conflict happened maybe due to lighting or power fail etc ...
Personal only 3 suggestions

1- Unplug it from the main and press for only 1-2 seconds the reset button while is off ... this helps to empty possibly static electric
2-leave it off few hrs and then power up if will help for the issue
3- and most important ... maybe the power supply is going death ... if you have a spare with the same volts (12V) & the plug can fit, try it and see if still have issues (amperes if is more higher is not problem) ... (maplin has a good range with space plugs)

Last a master reset but i would say to test first the PSU because if is going dead it may makes the same problem even after a master reset or during the firmware update can make it worse
However the latest version can be find from here
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2850/Firmware/v3.6.4.1/Annex%20A/
If you do ... you need to use the *RST* file which will clean all previous bugs/conflicts and also is good for avoiding mismatching with previous firmwares due to the add of new features .... of course back all setting manually from the begin

Come back to your thread if are more suggestions from other members

• mercury
  • Topic Author
More
22 Oct 2013 22:22 #78043 by mercury
Thanks.

I had not considered a PSU issue, but lightning or some other static discharge event was one I was thinking of. The unit has been powered down for a while (more than a week and a 2820 installed which works) but I have not tried the other options yet.

I'll be going there over the weekend to see what I can get it to do.

Which version of the zip files is the one to try? I was going to use an RST to clear everything. He's on a BT line with Demon as his ISP.

More
22 Oct 2013 23:01 #78044 by babis3g
i would say to check again if the PSU is not just about to die ... with lighting, sudden black out (quick on/off) etc, the PSU in my opinion is the first which will be affected, then issues to the unit ... an affected (not works correctly) or nearly dead PSU can cause same symptoms as you describe ... if fits use the one from the 2820 as are same voltage

You can try the zip 2471201 should synchronize little higher or the 232201 which usually is the one out of the box

• mercury
  • Topic Author
More
26 Oct 2013 21:00 #78066 by mercury
Checked the PSU (12V/1.5A) - all OK. Changed to a 2820 PSU (12V/2.5A) but no change.

Nothing beyond the Admin Login screen other than 'unable to find server'.

Factory reset and it all came back to life. Upgraded the firmware to the latest version as above and reconfigured the router. Now working fine.

No idea what the real issue was but it's all fine now. Have recommended he change his 20 year old anti-surge protector to a more modern one in case that's the issue. I did notice his house lights were flickering occasionally and there could be a supply issue. They are very rural with overhead supply.

Moderators: Sami