DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

DHCP and DNS settings

• sparkymarcopolo
  • Topic Author
More
07 Nov 2013 08:01 #78162 by sparkymarcopolo
DHCP and DNS settings was created by sparkymarcopolo
Yes, I know how these work but I'd like clarification and some recommendations about a few settings on both my 2760 and 2920

On my 2760 (connected to WAN), under LAN > DNS, is the status picking up the IP from WAN ISP settings and what do you tend to set in the DNS config (also do you have googles entries in here)?

In DHCP, do people tend to set the DNS to itself, external or a mixture and what order. (I changed DHCP>DNS from the ISP to the Router and woke to no Internet access this morning). Makes a bit of a contradiction to this if you ask me http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_vigor_dns.html

On my other router, a 2920, DHCP server disabled and simply the default GW to the 2760, but again what are the best DNS settings to use (currently set to 2960)

For my other static devices I tend to set the DNS to the router as primary and WAN ISP as secondary.

I tend to get different results depending upon Router brand

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2013 15:36 #78168 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: DHCP and DNS settings

Referring to page Network > DNS
DNS settings if you leave it blank it will get automatic your ISP's ones ... you can change it using with an other ones such google,opendns etc or a faster ones from a dns tool such namebench etc

same as the link you have post but this seems old ... some times (depending the models) they have by default the google dns and not getting the isp's automatic

DHCP
i am referring to the page: Network > DHCP ... you don't need to use or change unless you want your devices (laptop,mobile,pc) to have them under control ... in this case you can give them a static ip so they will have them continuously ... this is helpful if you want to set in the future filters or bandwidth limit etc to limit the devices which you gave them static ip

referring to page LAN >> General Setup ... sorry did not understand what settings you are trying to do but if you disable the DHCP setting (this valid with any router) then you will need to set manually at the other end/device because it will not give you access to the network

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami