DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2920 or 2760 as main router

• sparkymarcopolo
  • Topic Author
More
07 Nov 2013 08:08 #78163 by sparkymarcopolo
2920 or 2760 as main router was created by sparkymarcopolo
I decided to go down the 2760 when I upgraded to Fibre and then was lucky enough to be given a 2920 after I'd set it up. I also liked the all in one with the 2760

My question is which is best as the main WAN Router, taking into consideration the 2760 is all in one and with the 2920 I'd need to connect the vdsl modem to it.

Also, whichever I use as the second will simply be configured as an ACP

Are they pretty much the same under the hood in terms of functionality and quality?

I don't really want to be setting up the 2920 just for the sake of it (although I find the 2760 interface ridiculous and slow)

Suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2013 13:17 #78164 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2920 or 2760 as main router
Hi ... posting just a brief of combinations

-Can use the BT modem only for connection and set the 2920 with PPPoE mode for routing ... may needs the username pass with also the benefit of the great routing and wifi plus such a great features (of course no one using them unless is an office)

-can use the 2760 for connection changing the default ip/gateway & then set the 2920 at static or dynamic ip ... giving the gateway and a static ip of the 2760 you have change/modify
with this way you can see the statistics of the line and then use the wifi of the 2760 & 2920 or one of the other plus the routing of one or the other but the problem if you have port forwardings ... will have double nat
similar set can be find below
"Setting up the DrayTek 2920 with two ADSL modems" but in your case is the same with one
http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/draytek-2920

-If you use the 2760 just alone (all in one) ... the beta firmware 1.2.0rc7 (as far i know is the latest since last sunday) the UI of the 2760 is faster & also they have add many features
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18850&p=78155#p78155

- can use the 2920 as wifi repeater/extender only .... below some instructions from draytek but personal never tried
https://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=2049&Itemid=293&lang=en
or just check at the Wireless LAN >> WDS Settings of the 2920

- can use 2920 as switch only ....the 4 lan ports ... no informations but i think is possible

Hope you get what is best for you and also is nice to try some new combinations for your own expirience

• sparkymarcopolo
  • Topic Author
More
07 Nov 2013 14:04 #78165 by sparkymarcopolo
Replied by sparkymarcopolo on topic Re: 2920 or 2760 as main router
Thanks, but I'm struggling with some of your English. Btw, it's a home setup

I know I'll need to re-setup the 2920 if I go that route for the main WAN Wireless but what are the benefits?

Is the Wireless better on the 2920 than the 2760, am I overkill having them both because surely distance is a factor

I'm wanting to have a simple solution, even just one SSID if possible

More
07 Nov 2013 14:56 #78167 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2920 or 2760 as main router
sorry ... what i mean the following combinations can be done with the 2 units

-BT modem & 2920 at "PPPoE" mode

-2760 & 2920 ... at "static or dynamic ip" mode

with this combination you need to change the default gateway & IP address of the 2760 ...
then at the 2920 set it as "static or dynamic ip" same way at the link i have provided with the 2920 review, giving at "static or dynamic ip" page of the 2920 ... the new gateway & IP & subnet mask of the 2760 ...

setting it this way can turn off the wifi of the 2760 or 2920 ... its up to you and you can see the statistics page of the line(speed,snr,line attenuator etc)

- use the 2760 alone because is all in one

- use the 2760 or the 2920 as wifi repeater or wifi extender for longer wifi range (link posted at previous post)

- use the 2760 or the 2920 as switch only so can connect more than 4 wired devices (never tried)

Hope the way i have explain this time is little more clear for possible combinations with the 2 units you have

I can not tell what is the easiest way because this depending of your needing ... example longer wifi range to cover greater your garden or a larger house...if you planning to connect more then 4 wired devices .... some people just getting 3rd part modems all in one for having less cables ...or ... to be able see the line statistics from their FTTC service because with the BT modem is locked ... etc

• sparkymarcopolo
  • Topic Author
More
08 Nov 2013 11:00 #78174 by sparkymarcopolo
Replied by sparkymarcopolo on topic Re: 2920 or 2760 as main router
Thanks for the ideas, I'm still pondering whether to just leave as is and having two different wireless networks (using two units), although the signal strength around the house is fine using either one.

I thought I'd cracked it last night by having the 2920/vsdl only and then using a LAN powerline using RJ45 splitter from Living room (NAS and Home Cinema Amp) to 2920 but one side of the split didn't work.

Streaming from the NAS (connected 100mb) and then trying from TV (Wireless was fine)

So my new method is to get a Wireless N adapter for the NAS, hard wire from Amp through to Router

Moderators: Sami