DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

migrate from 2820 to 2830 usingbackup file

• silvermist
  • Topic Author
More
09 Nov 2013 18:12 #78183 by silvermist
migrate from 2820 to 2830 usingbackup file was created by silvermist
I have a 2820. I want to setup a spare for Disaster Recovery.
I have s backup CFG file from the 2820 -- but -- the password for the 2820 is now lost.

I can no longer buy a 2820 as a spare, only a 2830.

1....Can I do a basic set up the 2830 with a new password and then RESTORE from the 2820 CFG file?

2....Will the RESTORE overwrite the new password with a "lost" and therefore "inaccessible" password from the 2820?

Douglas Maughan
Winchester, UK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2013 20:13 #78184 by babis3g
Hi ...
1- Personal never tried but Not recommended using from an other model back up files ... some times is not even advisable even with the same model from different firmware to use backup file
May be conflicts, bugs from the different settings or features of the other model to be present ... also some features may not function well

only master reset will place the default pass but then the rest settings as well will lost

2- Yes ... if you manage to load the back file will override the current settings so the password as well will be overwritten with the loaded backup file

• silvermist
  • Topic Author
More
11 Nov 2013 17:40 #78204 by silvermist
Replied by silvermist on topic Re: migrate from 2820 to 2830 usingbackup file
Hi Babis3g
Thank you for helpful reply -- especially about the hazards of different firmware versions.

I will now plan to make a careful note of all settings and then start from scratch on the new 2830.

Douglas

More
11 Nov 2013 18:06 #78205 by babis3g
yes & sorry but this is the safest way ... if is long page with many settings take a screenshot

Moderators: Sami