DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Sudden Lan DNS problem

• alandean
  • Topic Author
More
12 Nov 2013 01:41 #78208 by alandean
Sudden Lan DNS problem was created by alandean
My 2830Vn has been installed for around 2 years and has caused very few issues, only needing a reboot very rarely. I have not needed to make any changes to the settings since setting it up - it is used on a straightforward home network with the router being setup with the address 192.168.1.1 on LAN1 - the only one in use.

This evening my PC's could not access the internet and after rebooting them and the router several times I got to the situation where my main PC was telling me it had internet access but I could not access any websites, nor get any email. Doing an 'ipconfig /all' on the PC revealed the culprit - the DNS server IP address on the PC was set to 'Obtain DNS server address automatically' as it always had been BUT it was pointing to 192.168.2.1 rather than 192.168.1.1. Changing the DNS setting in the PC lan configuration manually so that it looked to 192.168.1.1 worked, but I do not want to have to change the DNS settings on every piece of equipment on my network to get them to work.

The settings in the router have not been changed since originally setup so why has this suddenly happened, and how can I get the router to give the correct DNS server address for networked PC's? In 'LAN - General Setup' 192.168.2.1 is assigned to the 'IP Routed Subnet' but on the [Details Page] under 'Network Configuration' the 'Disable' radio button is selected.

TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2013 09:04 #78209 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Sudden Lan DNS problem
Hi ... to answer one part of the the problem ... for dns go at lan>general set up>details page and set there manually what dns you prefer (isp's or your own)
also at lan>general set up you can set which lan can be use (Force router to use "DNS server IP address" settings specified in lan 1,2,3,4)

worth to mention there is a new firmware update is out
for the single band model
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2830/Firmware/Single%20band/v3.6.6.1_SB/Vigor2830_sb_v3.6.6.1_AnnexA/
for the dual band
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2830/Firmware/Single%20band/v3.6.6.1_SB/Vigor2830_sb_v3.6.6.1_AnnexB/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami