DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Mac - Messages - connection doctor - port restricted...

• sdw303
  • Topic Author
More
20 Nov 2013 13:50 #78314 by sdw303
Hi Forum,

Looking for help in an environment that uses a DrayTek 2850 Vn.

I can message and FaceTime with family - just not share desktop over internet, because the option to share desktop with any Buddies in the Messages app is always greyed out.

Something I've noticed, in the Messages app, if I...
...select "Video" on the menu bar, then "Connection Doctor" and then Show: "Network Status"...
...it shows "Router type: Port Restricted".

I don't use any of the BT kit. I have it cabled as:
ISP BT VDSL wall socket -> RJ11 -> VDSL port, DrayTek 2850Vn (is DHCP, is DNS relay, no Wi-Fi), LAN port 1 -> RJ45 -> WAN port, Apple Airport Extreme (bridged mode, no DHCP, Wi-Fi on) -> (...over air...) -> Mac

If anyone could:
1) confirm the cabling, especially "DrayTek LAN port 1 -> RJ45 -> WAN port, Apple Airport" is correct ?
2) confirm that they have Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks machine and are able to share desktop over internet using a DrayTek 2850Vn (or any DrayTek for that matter)
3) and if so, say what "Messages / Video / Connection Doctor / Network Status" shows their "Router type:" as...

...then that would be a very useful start for me. At least then I would know that it can work, and then it's just a case of me working out why it doesn't work for me.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2013 13:54 #78315 by sicon
Sounds like you need to open the incoming port - remote desktop is 3389 for windows but not sure on a mac
this might help find the right port number http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1629

• sdw303
  • Topic Author
More
20 Nov 2013 14:25 #78317 by sdw303
Thanks sicon - I probably have the wrong end of the stick, but from other posts I've read elsewhere, I think Mac OS X 10.9 Messages app desktop sharing leverages SIP (port 5060 (plus a short range)).

I tried temporarily enabling UPnP on the 2850Vn, but no change in the Messages / Video / Connection Doctor / Network Status which still showed Router type: Port Restricted.

I don't yet know if "router type: port restricted" is even an indicator of a problem or not. So far, it's just something that I've noticed.

This doc:
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12050?viewlocale=en_US
...doesn't clearly indicate whether "router type: port restricted" would cause "Messages / Buddies / Ask to Share buddy's Screen..." to be greyed out.

• sdw303
  • Topic Author
More
20 Nov 2013 15:04 #78318 by sdw303
Solution is in here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4142831?start=15&tstart=0

Nothing to do with router, and nothing to do with Messages app connection doctor showing router type: port restricted.

Moderators: Sami