DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor2830n Guest Networks

More
21 Nov 2013 12:39 #78324 by tim79
Vigor2830n Guest Networks was created by tim79
Hi I'm trying to set up a guest network obviously totally separate to the office network.

I have enabled VLan and set p1 and ssid2 for use with the guests leaving p2 p3 p4 and ssid1 for the normal office network. I have enabled different dhcp ranges on both vlans and that side is all working fine.

My trouble is that i need a second wireless access point in a separate building to be on the guest network. its to far for wifi connection and it goes through to many circuit boards to use a powerline but there is an existing lan cable in that building used for the office network.

Is there a way i can use the cable from the office side and make an individual item ( wifi access point ) on that network be forced to join the guest vlan?

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2013 15:26 #78327 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: Vigor2830n Guest Networks
What you want is easily achievable it just depends what you already have plugged into that cable

If there is nothing on the LAN cable going from the office to the router then just plug it into port 1 of 2830 and the other end into the LAN port of the WAP - make sure you switch off DHCP on WAP and then it will get the DHCP setting from the 2830.

If there is another switch plugged into that cable then you net to set up the vlan on that switch and use the port on the switch as a trunk with both vlans tagged in it.
That way the single cable will tag the tagged packets for the separate Lans

More
21 Nov 2013 15:41 #78330 by tim79
Replied by tim79 on topic Re: Vigor2830n Guest Networks
yeah thats where the issue is port 2 on the router goes up to a 25 port unmanaged switched in the roof space of the main building which feeds several computers but also then from there goes to a second switch in the building i want to add the access point at both switches there are multiple devices that i still need on the office network.

More
22 Nov 2013 09:19 #78340 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: Vigor2830n Guest Networks
Well if it was me then you'd need a minimum of a 2 smart switches they are cheaper than a managed layer 2 switch.
People say VLANs work on unmanaged switches but I've never tested it or seen it work and is not good practice as it totally defeats the purpose of a VLAN.

Moderators: Sami