Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 120 V1 versus V2

• adrinux
  • Topic Author
More
03 Dec 2013 11:19 #78409 by adrinux
Vigor 120 V1 versus V2 was created by adrinux
Hello,

My cheapo tp-link modem died and the Vigor 120 seems highly regarded replacement so I picked one up off ebay but it looks like I have the original version, not the V2. Grrr. Should have paid more attention.

I think this because I've been able to upgrade the firmware to 3.2.4.4, but it refuses to apply the 3.2.6 firmware 'Firmware file name is invalid, please check!'. Am I right?

Second question, is – what is the difference between this model and the V2, there seems to be no good description of the differences anywhere. Is it likely to be faster than the V1, realistically?

Here's the status on the modem after 24 hours.
Code:
> adsl status --------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) ----------- DSL Modulation : ADSL2+(G.992.5) State : SHOWTIME DS Actual Rate : 8152615 bps US Actual Rate : 365858 bps DS Attainable Rate : 8524000 bps US Attainable Rate : 364000 bps DS Path Mode : Interleave US Path Mode : Interleave DS Interleave Depth : 96 US Interleave Depth : 1 NE Current Attenuation : 53 dB Cur SNR Margin : 9 dB DS actual PSD : 20. 8 dB US actual PSD : 12. 7 dB ADSL Firmware Version : 321311_A -------------------------------- ATU-C Info --------------------------------- Far Current Attenuation : 45 dB Far SNR Margin : 6 dB CO ITU Version[0] : 00004946 CO ITU Version[1] : 0000544e DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < IFTN >

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2013 13:22 #78411 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Vigor 120 V1 versus V2
Hi ... To find out if you have the v1 or v2 under the modem where is the label next of the written model, should state V2 for the 120v2 model
If is not stating the V2 (but only Vigor 120) then you have the V1 ... so use the correct firmware
V1 ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor120/Firmware/V3.2.4.4/
modem codes 344001 & 3431301 should give little higher synchronization
V2 ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor120%20V2/Firmware/V3.2.6/AnnexA/
modem codes 3431301 & one of the 3471101,344001 should give better speed as well

The difference??? as far i know seems the chipset ... see below
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18767
Having IFTN (infineon) DSLAM, in your case you better with the V1 for faster & more stability because is perfect matching :) so should have better speed than the TP-link and less errors, so more stable line ... however if you have the V2 is still very good with infineon dslams ... was using the v2 with TT with very good results ...very happy

• adrinux
  • Topic Author
More
03 Dec 2013 15:47 #78412 by adrinux
Replied by adrinux on topic Re: Vigor 120 V1 versus V2
Thanks babis3g, looks like it's definitely a V1 then. I'll try playing with the different firmwares. Currently only tried the STD version and that's definitely not producing impressive results!

More
03 Dec 2013 17:00 #78414 by babis3g

adrinux wrote: definitely not producing impressive results!

is not synchronize better than the tp-link? set manually at wan internet access ... modulation adsl2+, the correct mtu from isp
Can you do a favour please? just for my personal knowledge ... disconnect the cable from the phone socket where is going at the incoming wan port of the vigor and telnet the same command that you posted the stats ... can you tell me what is the VENDOR ID now? Thanks

• adrinux
  • Topic Author
More
04 Dec 2013 00:19 #78416 by adrinux
Replied by adrinux on topic Re: Vigor 120 V1 versus V2
It must be said I never dug deep into what the tp-link was doing, but I had sustained transfer rates around 800-900KB/s and the vigor120 seemed to be circa 600-700. It seems to be getting up there now though, with the 344001 firmware as you suggested. Have yet to try the 3431301 firmware though.

Here's status after unplugging the phone line, same info for DSLAM - I guess its cached somewhere. Want me to try again and power cycle the modem?
Though it must be said I'm somewhat reluctant to keep turning it on and off whilst its settling in.

Code:
> adsl status --------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) ----------- DSL Modulation : ADSL2+(G.992.5) State : READY DS Actual Rate : 0 bps US Actual Rate : 0 bps DS Attainable Rate : 8032000 bps US Attainable Rate : 352000 bps DS Path Mode : Interleave US Path Mode : Interleave DS Interleave Depth : 0 US Interleave Depth : 0 NE Current Attenuation : 0 dB Cur SNR Margin : 0 dB DS actual PSD : 20. 9 dB US actual PSD : 12. 7 dB ADSL Firmware Version : 344001_A -------------------------------- ATU-C Info --------------------------------- Far Current Attenuation : 45 dB Far SNR Margin : 6 dB CO ITU Version[0] : 00004946 CO ITU Version[1] : 0000544e DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < IFTN >

More
04 Dec 2013 09:20 #78418 by babis3g
thanks for your time :) ... the other modem code is about the same as the one you are having now so you can leave it as it is because i don't think will make any difference ... it just which one is making less errors with your line now... at least it got closer to the usual speeds ... if you leave it 2-3 days without reboot (the line to find a stable connection) and then give a reboot or two (after few days) it may lock little higher as well ... but do this when you have finish finding the right modem code

Yes is cached ... you need to power off the modem > take out the phone cable >power on, without the phone cable >telenet to see the chipset ... this time will show the vigor chipset ... but it is not important to waste your time ... and thanks for your effort

Moderators: Sami