Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830 and Netgear FS7502 VLAN setup

• swishtech
  • Topic Author
More
06 Dec 2013 18:13 #78439 by swishtech
2830 and Netgear FS7502 VLAN setup was created by swishtech
Hi,

I am trying to configure our new Vigor2830 with our Netgear FS7502 switch to use vlans without success. Hoping someone here could point me in the right direction.

I'd like to have the following setup:

2 vlans on the switch -

Vlan A for our office network
Vlan B for our public wifi and training rooms

Port 1 on the 2830 to provide internet to the Vlan A office network and not assign IP as that is handled by our server
Port 2 on the 2830 to provide DHCP and a different subnet range to VLAN B.

I have set up LAN 1 and LAN 2 on the 2830 as required with the correct subnets and DNS etc info.

On the Vlan configuration page of the 2830 I have used the check boxes to set:

Vlan0 P1
Vlan1 P2 VLAN TAG enabled VID 20 Priority 0
Vlan2 P3
Vlan3 P4

I also checked the "Permit untagged devices in P1 access to the router" as a failsafe/recovery issue for when I eventually tag myself out of the box.

On the Netgear switch

I have a choice of either 802.1Q Vlans or Port Based VLANS.

I am using port 37 for the VLAN2 connection to Port 2 of the 2830
Port 36 is used with a laptop to check VLAN 2 setup

802.1q
Vlan 1 - all ports untagged except 36 and 37 which are set as not member
Vlan 20 - Port 36 and Port 37 tag egress packets, all other ports set as not member

Using the above set up I get assigned an IP in the correct range from the router from the laptop connected to port 36 on the switch. I can ping the router using the internal IP address I have assigned to LAN 2 in the router settings (10.1.1.1). I cannot however get to any external IP addresses or websites. I have setup the DNS settings in LAN 2 with my ISP settings so I don't think this is the issue.

It appears as if the VLAN is working given I get the right IP address assigned and can ping the correct internal address of the routerfor LAN2 but I'm stumped as to why I cannot get outside?

Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2013 12:01 #78458 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: 2830 and Netgear FS7502 VLAN setup
if you are using the default VLAN on the Netgear you still need to add the tag to the Draytek

Here is a similar example of your setup

the only difference is I have only Port 1 connected to the switch so both VLAN truck through it.
In your case you would untick the VLAN1 Port1 box and have VLAN0 Port 1 ticked and VLAN1 port 2 ticked

The ports that connect the Switch to the Dratyek need to be Tagged in both VLANs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami