Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Power extension cable

• benji
  • Topic Author
More
01 Jan 2014 15:49 #78619 by benji
Power extension cable was created by benji
Hi

I have a 2820n - and would like to extend the power cable a few metres. I dont suppose anyone knows specifically what I need to be able to extend the DC end of it? Anyone done this?

I am thinking it is something like 2.? x 5.? mm? :?: Other than trial and error or taking the PSU down to Maplin to try connectors so I can make a cable up I thought I would try here first.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2014 18:54 #78621 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Power extension cable
you can extend it ... don't know the mm of the plug behind the 2820 because some models has different millimetre ... not all the same but if you get your own cable the middle of the connector (plug) is the positive ...
Alternative why you just let the supplied PSU as it is ... and get an extended power electric cord from the main socket to the modem ... i am sure can be find one with just a single socket from B&Q,argos etc
http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/htmlimages/1GangExt.jpg

• benji
  • Topic Author
More
02 Jan 2014 19:14 #78623 by benji
Replied by benji on topic Re: Power extension cable
Thanks for the information/suggestion, as I wasnt aware there are different plug/socket sizes on the 2820.

The reason I was asking this specific question though was because I want to run the power cable through trunking to the router, and having an extension lead and the PSU half way along isnt an option.

More
02 Jan 2014 20:26 #78624 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Power extension cable
sorry what i mean is, for the 2920 is different size plug of the PSU (behind the router) the 2850 is different, for the 2760 again different size (got all them models & i know) ... so the 2820 maybe different as well so can not say what mm its socket is to can get the one you need, perhaps can tell an other user ...
You can try take the unit to maplin or computer shop to match what you need ... they may have already just an extension cord specially for the PSU's ... so ask for this first

Only can say if you get the connectors by your self, the middle is the positive polarity

An easy option without getting confuse with millimeters & plugs ... is to keep the same psu & of course the same plug is coming from the box (if you don't mind voiding the warranty)... then cut it somewhere in the middle or where is good for you & get from the market just small thin cable (can find in the market same black color to much the supplied psu) and join (by just twisting) the supplied psu cable(just be careful not cross the joins) then sealed with electric tape each cut and join and done (if you understand my point)

An other way if you don't find in the market what you need and don't want to void the warranty ... is to do the same but with one of maplin range ...
example http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-20w-switched-mode-acdc-multi-voltage-power-supply-vn10l (this is good but just check the 12V to be at least 1,5A (check the supplied one how many Ambers are)
get a psu 12volt over 1,5 amber (usually they do have extra connectors and i am sure one of them will match it) then just cut and join the maplin psu cable with same way i mentioned)

So you don't need to take my advise but are just an alternative in the worst case :o

Moderators: Sami