DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860n+, WOL and a TP-Link managed switch...issues

• c128
  • Topic Author
More
06 Jan 2014 19:34 #78666 by c128
Are there any known gotchas with getting WOL working with a managed switch?

Previously I had a 2820n connected to a D-Link unmanaged switch - WOL worked fine.
I've now upgraded to a 2860n+ and this TP-Link managed switch http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-SG3424P

When the machine I'm trying to wake is connected to the TP-Link switch, it never wakes on a magic packet sent from within the LAN.
When the same machine is connected directly to a port on the router, it wakes fine.
Wireshark confirms that magic packets are being sent from the client machines within my LAN and the machine doesn't wake if I use the 2860n+'s own WOL tool.

TP-Link are currently saying that the switch doesn't interfere with magic packets at all, although I'm pursuing them on this...
I have the MAC address of the machine bound to its IP address in the 2860n+ config and, when the machine is sleeping, the TP-Link switch still shows the port as active (albeit at a reduced speed)...and it all works when the host machine is directly connected to the router.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• c128
  • Topic Author
More
12 Jan 2014 12:24 #78716 by c128
Just in case anyone finds this and suspects an issue...there isn't one :D

Turned out this was nothing to do with either router or switch, but instead an obscure (at least for most people) Intel BIOS extension on my target machine's motherboard that was interfering with general sleep/wake. That, combined with a NIC driver upgrade on that machine (I suspect), was seeing it sleep/wake every few minutes...

Won't mean much to most people, I guess, but if you ever have strange behaviour with an Intel NIC e.g. responding to IP-based pings when asleep coupled with odd sleep/wake behaviour, the solution may well be in the "Correct Answer" post here:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/29566

...a mystery why the "remote wake up" functionality mentioned above should be enabled by default on my board (I didn't enable it) but now it's disabled all is fine...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami