DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

How to show WEP Codes as characters

• invigor8
  • Topic Author
More
17 Jan 2014 13:54 #78758 by invigor8
How to show WEP Codes as characters was created by invigor8
I have a Vigor 2830Vn router. It is configured with WEP encryption. When I’m in the Configurator’s Security section, the 4 WEP codes are showing as asterisks. How or where can I view the code in characters? There must be some way as otherwise you can never know what the code is.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2014 16:20 #78762 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: How to show WEP Codes as characters
Have not involved personal with wep codes but find this post if will help you as start before any other member reply you
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18706&p=77672&hilit=wep+codes+%26+characters#p77672

• invigor8
  • Topic Author
More
17 Jan 2014 16:44 #78765 by invigor8
Replied by invigor8 on topic Re: How to show WEP Codes as characters
Thanks. That points to a giant loophole in Windows security where your wireless access code is on full public display. Hopefully Microsoft didn't do that deliberately and will close that door. But within Draytek's configurator, surely you should be able to view the code unmasked as you are already signed into the configurator!

I sent Draytek an email September of last year (seems to be the only way to contact them!) but have not had any reply from them yet - so much for Draytek support. In times of desperate need would leave you feeling quite exposed. Very different from Netgear whom I shall be returning to in future.

More
17 Jan 2014 19:19 #78767 by mordorf
Replied by mordorf on topic Re: How to show WEP Codes as characters
Don't use WEP. It's so insecure it's a total joke. Crackable in under 2 minutes and you don't need to be a genius to do it. Anyone can watch a youtube video and learn how to do it in no time at all. If you are one of those people that thinks along the lines that you've got nothing to hide or steal think along the lines of someone sitting in a car at the end of your road cracking in to your wireless network and then in turn your computer and turning it in to a web server for a paedophile ring. Try explaining that one to the police when they coming bashing your door down at 2am!

Wireless security in order of most secure to least:-
WPA2 Enterprise
WPA2 Personal
WPA
WEP
Open

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77IBk-wUAVg

• invigor8
  • Topic Author
More
20 Jan 2014 11:01 #78779 by invigor8
Replied by invigor8 on topic Re: How to show WEP Codes as characters
Yes you are quite right - I guess that's why Microsoft are so complacent about whether the code can be so easily obtained from their operating system! I started out with WEP on this router and have been too lazy to change it and change the connections on the devices that connect through it - but it's something that I'll have to bite the bullet on one of these days.

Moderators: Sami