DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Long line firmware for 2710?

• thunderbucket
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jan 2014 12:41 #78844 by thunderbucket
Long line firmware for 2710? was created by thunderbucket
I'm experiencing frequent connection drops (up to 20 per day according to my ISP, Zen) with my 2710. The 2170 is connected by vpn, LAN to LAN, to my client's 2830 and I suspect that this may be the cause of the issue. My office is about 3km from the cabinet and the max downstream (copper) is v.slow - about 3Mb. Speaking to Zen, the support guy said he'd had a similar situation with another client who said he'd solved the issue by installing 'long line' firmware on their Draytek. Is such firmware available for the 2710, and if so, can you assist me in obtaining it?

Also, at the risk of mixing threads, I am advised that using the Draytek implementation of PPTP vpn may not be a good choice. But I am also advised by my client's isp that the IPSec protocol is implicated in packet loss. And L2TP uses IPSec, so I assume that may also show packet loss. Can you recommend which protocol will give the best (most reliable and fast) vpn for me to control a machine at the other end of the tunnel?

JB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2014 12:57 #78846 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Long line firmware for 2710?
Personal never used VPN so please wait if other member helps for this issue

For the firmware update latest is 3.6.5 since last August (not really that long) from here (note this firmware is not for the e or ne model but the 2710,2710n, 2710vn)
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2710/Firmware/v3.6.5/Vigor2710_v3.6.5_annexA/

If you have long time to upgrade, then will need the *rst* file for a clean installation & possible less bugs( avoid passing from the older firmware) & all settings manually back from the begin ... which is your current firmware?

• thunderbucket
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jan 2014 13:11 #78847 by thunderbucket
Replied by thunderbucket on topic Re: Long line firmware for 2710?
Thanks for quick reply, Babis...

Current firmware is 3.6.5_232201 as advised by Draytek support for UK use. I'm not sure how to interpret the modem numbers so it may be that one of the others is 'long line' for UK - but I don't know how to tell that.

I did reset to factory defaults from the webMan page and uploaded the .cfg, but no improvement. So maybe uploading the .rst then loading the .cfg would help? Or do I really need to try to remember all the settings and apply them individually for security? If so, that's the rest of the day screen shotting and trying to remember the passwords...

JB

More
24 Jan 2014 13:38 #78849 by babis3g
usually needs master reset after the firmware update ... try one more time using modem code 2471201 then use the backup file (create one before the update with the other modem code) ...
ftp://ftp.draytek.com/Vigor2710/Firmware/v3.6.5/Vigor2710_v3.6.5_annexA/
if not work and still having disconnections just use the *all* file this times (all settings will stay the same with the *all*) and try 244001,243701 ...
if still disconnections try another filter and another cable (some are basics standard one & some are twisted pair like cat5e with rj11 connector) .. but less than 1.5 meter long
if you have any electric or electronic device near the 2710 take away and see if is little better
in mean time ask support if having any newer beta to try
also at LAN >> General Setup enable RIP if will make a difference and at internet access set manually ADSL2_ (992.5) & WAN Connection Detection always on

• thunderbucket
  • Topic Author
More
24 Jan 2014 15:53 #78850 by thunderbucket
Replied by thunderbucket on topic Re: Long line firmware for 2710?
Hi Babis...

Again, thanks for your response.

Have installed 3.6.5_2471201, set DSL Modem Settings Modulation to 'ADSL2+ (G.992.5)' and WAN connection Detection (change from 'ARP Detect') to 'Ping Detect' with IP of ISP DNS, TTL=1. The system is connecting and, as it stands is online but I can't yet tell if its stable. Is there a log I can view to track this?

Have already replaced the filter and cable with no appreciable benefit.

I cannot see any mention of enabling RIP in LAN>General Setup. I can see RIP Direction in 3. TCP/IP Network Settings for LAN to LAN, but as you mentioned you don't use vpn in previous post, I doubt that's what you were alluding to. So any hint or pointer will be gratefully received.

Regardless of whether I hear from you again, I will post back here with a status update as a pet hate is when a cry for help is answered and the OP can't be arsed to close the ticket with a result...

More
24 Jan 2014 19:33 #78853 by babis3g
Sorry about the RIP protocol, i was referring to "wan>>internet access" but i realise Zen is not using MPoA (not a Zen customer)

The tools i am using is normally wireshark or syslog if will show anything including possible disconnections, then i pass the files to the support (when had some small issues with the 2760 ... for my own use i have the "routerstats-lite" (not have the 2710 but the 2830) to watch the SNR value change in combination with the "online status>>physical connection" of the modem and the CRC errors
You can also try "orbMT" ... both may works & with the 2710 because they have the same chipset

As for the ZEN support who mentioned the problem sorted for the other user with modem code for "Long Line" ... this the STD modem code as first option then 211801, 2121501,2211201 ... i believe a modem code will help for your disconnections ... i just suggest 2471201 because from my own tests it has the less CRC errors and synchronise very good compare the other modem codes

if the support can tell you what year or date was this problem of the other user we may find & what firmware was using before you rolling back all of them if the problem still there

Moderators: Sami