DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 3.7.8 VECTOR2 Firmware - works OK on ADSL2+

• destroyer
  • Topic Author
More
10 Jan 2015 15:23 #82288 by destroyer
I installed Firmware v 3.7.8 but thought I'd see what VECTOR2 did and it seems to work fine on my ADSL2+ line.

What is difference between STD, VECTOR, and VECTOR2 firmwares in this case? Do all these versions actually have the same ADSL code in them and it is just the VDSL code that differs?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• destroyer
  • Topic Author
More
10 Jan 2015 16:10 #82289 by destroyer
One observation (STD and VECTOR)

Idle CPU usage on router gone from around 2% (on the old v3.7.4.x) to 5% on mine when looking at web config. Web GUI also less responsive/slower.

Mem usage on STD firmware: 67MB
mem usage on VECTOR2 firmware: 69MB

More
10 Jan 2015 16:31 #82290 by babis3g
I think the noise cancellation the vector offers has positive effect and for adsl line
The admin believes (and could be right) is the modem code (vector 1/2) because vector has different modem code than STD

However even for my broadcom adsl line it is way better (stable - snr/errors) the vectoring firmwares for my 2760 (has same modem codes as the 2860 - example same as the models 2710,2820,2830,2850 - all having same modem codes)

http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19815&p=82030&hilit=vector#p82030
http://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=1226&Itemid=293&lang=en

Are few other posts in here where users saying the vector is working good even for vdsl (even vector not supported yet in UK)

• destroyer
  • Topic Author
More
10 Jan 2015 23:25 #82291 by destroyer
In this case hopefully someone can give us a proper answer, if there is evidence that running VECTOR firmware might be better for ADSL (or whatever) than when using the STD firmware then it would be nice to know.

Any possibility of Draytek UK finding out for us??

Also, when running the STD firmware, what is the difference between the two modem codes, why does it default to the earliest one?

More
11 Jan 2015 17:11 #82294 by babis3g
I think best to ask the support :)
They do reply & if you don't mind to share the answers :D

More
14 Jan 2015 13:38 #82325 by alanplum241276
Replied by alanplum241276 on topic Re: Draytek 3.7.8 VECTOR2 Firmware - works OK on ADSL2+
I'm running some tests now on my 2860N.

I upgraded initially to 3.7.4.5 (UK) not STD and it produced a really jagged edge on my broadband monitor. (Looks like ping spikes)

I'm on VDSL (Infinity 1).

I've just upgraded to 3.7.8 VECTOR2, and notice there are 2 VDSL modem codes. I'm trying 571A17 for now, to check my monitor, and then will change it to the newer one and check again.

THEN....if I have time, I will try the VECTOR1 and STD firmware to see what is the best for me.

Moderators: Sami