DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860 v3.7.8 Issues

More
07 Feb 2015 16:20 #82623 by faris
Replied by faris on topic Re: 2860 v3.7.8 Issues
I'm seeing the same ping issue with 3.7.8. under zero load.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/cc42f78778a47eda7e1633f1c003948b-07-02-2015.html

I'm also seeing CPU going nuts unnecessarily when downloading a single file, as I've mentioned elsewhere.

After doing a full reset (hardware button) then using the RST firmware, I've not had any issues with the GUI or actual functionality or performance though (at least none that I've noticed!)

Sicon - for the Traffic Graph, have you tried clearing your browser's cache, or better yet using a different browser? I know, I know, that's probably the first thing you tried, but I thought I'd mention it just in case ;-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2015 16:39 #82624 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2860 v3.7.8 Issues
The vector firmwares 3.7.8 even for my 2760 has spikes in the TBB monitor graph

More
07 Feb 2015 19:19 #82627 by faris
Replied by faris on topic Re: 2860 v3.7.8 Issues
What about the non-Vector?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm no longer using the modem part - I've fired up the OR modem and I'm just using the 2860 as a router, to allow me to mess around with the firmware and the configuration without triggering DLM again.

More
09 Feb 2015 10:29 #82632 by pelstob
Replied by pelstob on topic Re: 2860 v3.7.8 Issues

Destroyer wrote:
I would beg to differ somewhat, that sawtooth effect is probably when the router CPU is spiking, and it is essentially causing a delay in its ability to do what it should be doing. Now fair enough ICMP is probably low priority in the OS anyway but something is going on in the software presumably which is unneccessary or inappropriate and it is distrupting normal operations. If you were playing an online game this could be manifested as very very minor lag jolts - indeed, minor, but it shouldn't really be occuring (especially as we know other firmwares do not suffer the problem..)

Oddly this only seems to exhibit on the WAN interface from an external source. If I leave a ping running against the LAN interface or to the likes of bbc.co.uk I see a solid <1ms for the LAN and a reasonably solid 15ms for the BBC (11227 ICMP packets to bbc.co.uk with 0% lost and >2ms deviation). It's not noticeable in any on-line gaming activity, whether that's BF4, LoL or D3.

I've logged a ticket with Draytek, so they're aware of the issue again at least.

More
10 Feb 2015 16:08 #82650 by pauljaggard
Replied by pauljaggard on topic Re: 2860 v3.7.8 Issues
I'm also seeing problems with the data flow monitor. I'm on VDSL, but it's a flaky connection, so I've got it failing over to a WAN2 backup - wondered whether that confused matters perhaps.

The data flow monitor reflects some traffic - I'll see some machines using large chunks of bandwidth at times, so it's not completely broken. But right at the moment I'm listening to a 128k internet radio stream, and the data flow monitor says my machine is using 0k inbound and 2k outbound. If I hit 'Block' the stream dies, so the router knows it's my stream - it just doesn't count it. My totals at the bottom also say 2k/0k.

It appears it's not counting traffic properly, which also means it's not throttling busy connections as I need. For example, on my previous 2820n I could throttle the kids' machines so I could have a VoIP conversation even when they had Steam downloads running; on the 2860n their downloads run flat out, stats say zero, they don't get throttled and my phone call falls apart.

One other thing I've noticed is that when it switches from WAN1 to WAN2 and vice-versa, the traffic graph sticks at whatever value it was on. So for example, if WAN1 goes down when I was pulling 500kbps, it will show a steady 500kbps line for the next few hours until the line comes back. Clearly it should show zero when not in use.

I've also had some funnies where the web interface was taking 30 seconds to load the page - one element at a time, very, very slowly. And I've also seen the web interface just give me 'skeleton' pages - some of the tables but no data - consistently for a while, but that had sorted itself without a reboot when I looked at it again an hour later.

My setup: 2860n running 3.7.8, VDSL2 on WAN1, failing over to WAN2 and back several times a day. About 30 devices, mostly wired, some wireless connections. IPsec VPN LAN-LAN connection, too. Monitor program connected to telnet port and running 'show status' every 10 seconds.

More
11 Feb 2015 10:19 #82657 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: 2860 v3.7.8 Issues
I know it sounds odd but change it to the ADSL firmware (take a backup 1st) then give it ago.... fixed ours.

Moderators: Sami