DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Using SKY hub SR102 with Vigor2925n

• arp1981
  • Topic Author
More
28 Jan 2015 16:45 #82510 by arp1981
Using SKY hub SR102 with Vigor2925n was created by arp1981
I have a SKY fibre connection, connected currently through the SR102 hub. I want to use this connection with the Vigor2925n and am wondering how I do this.

Is there a way of keeping the SR102 in action together with the 2925? If so, I guess I connect a LAN port from the SR102 to a WAN port on the 2925? My knowledge is sketchy here but I'm guessing this could cause an issue because the SR102 is still doing DHCP work, which the 2925 wants to do also, which will cause issues. Is there a way around this?

Alternatively, it seems there is an option to get rid of the SR102 hub entirely but in that case I would need to buy and set up an alternative modem right? The 2925 does not have a modem built in right? Also, I understand this would be against the SKY terms and conditions?

Any help much appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2015 17:45 #82520 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: Using SKY hub SR102 with Vigor2925n
Relying because no one did yet (i am not a sky user)

Some users already using draytek with sky so try a search in the forum here ... if you have & tv maybe is good idea to ask at sky forums

Yes you can use all in one (example 2860 or 2760) alternative modem , but do a good search before you get one because sky is complicating with MER (perhaps sky forums are more helpful in this case) ... the 2925 has not a built in modem ... are other users having a 3rd part modems working with sky & is against terms but looking at sky forums i have not seen any complaints or penalties from sky, just will not be support from them

More
11 Feb 2015 11:57 #82658 by rolandrat
Replied by rolandrat on topic Re: Using SKY hub SR102 with Vigor2925n
To do this correctly so not to have 'double NAT' issues you would need to put the SR102 into full bridge mode, something which it cant do im afraid.
To get rid of the sr102 and use a separate modem you would need to extract your sky username and password using wireshark (google getting sky username/pw there plenty of guides).
Once you have the user/pw you can use a modem like the Vigor 120/130 or like myself I use a Billion 8800NL which is a normal router as standard but it has a half bridge mode which forwards the WAN IP direct to the 2925.
You can also put it in full bridge mode and let the 2925 do the authentication with sky, but this requires PPPOE, which by standard sky adsl doesnt have, but if you do a online chat with a sky rep, and ask them to turn on pppoe authentication, this will then work.
This is how I have it setup 8800NL full bridge to 2925.
If you have a good quality line on adsl or if its fibre, id go with a Vigor130 as it can pass the ADSL/Fibre stats to the 2925, using an alternative like the 8800NL the router basically becomes a modem, and you wont be able to get to the gui unless you plug a laptop into it and fix its IP to the range on the 8800NL. I use the 8800 as my line is pretty poor and it gets the best speed.
If fibre ever comes my way ill get a Vigor130.

As for support from sky, never had any problems, i even tell them my setup and they dont care.

Moderators: Sami