DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 3200 DNS not resolving local host names

• ukcueman
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jan 2015 13:11 #82516 by ukcueman
I have a Vigor 3200 and hosts on the LAN cannot resolve the name for other hosts on the LAN.

I've tried looking through the Vigor UI, searching the manual and googling for something related to this, but can't find anything.

There are three ADSL WAN connections. Each WAN connection gets its IP address and DNS server by DHCP. The Vigor also gets its IP address from each WAN modem/router by DHCP.

LAN clients get given a DNS server that is the IP address of the WAN1 modem/router, whereas I would expect the Vigor to be the DNS server that is used internally. If I use an nslookup utility and set the Vigor to be the DNS server, then it fails to resolve the name of machines on the LAN. If I use Applications/LAN DNS on the Vigor to force a FQDN to resolve to a local IP address, then DNS requests directed at the Vigor via nslookup will be able to resolve that FQDN back to the local IP. So there is a DNS server running in the Vigor, it just doesn't seem to cache the names of the local hosts, or they are cached under some domain name.

Is the Vigor 3200 supposed to resolve local host names, or do I need to set up another LAN server with DHCP/DNS?

Thanks,
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2015 17:48 #82521 by babis3g
I am not sure if will helps, go at LAN >> General Setup>Details Page and set dns server manually
If not helps turn off DoS and see if solved

• ukcueman
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jan 2015 14:37 #82532 by ukcueman
Setting the Vigor's own LAN IP address in LAN >> General setup >> DNS Server IP address >> primary IP address now means that LAN DHCP clients are given the IP address of the Vigor as their DNS server.

But if a machine on the LAN is called "foo", then "ping foo" will still fail. However, by running "arp", I worked out that "ping foo.local" will work.

I tried setting option 15 (domain name) to "local" in LAN >> General Setup. I've confirmed that Ubuntu clients do receive that as expected, but "ping foo" still fails, while "ping foo.local" works.

I might be able to live with this, but I'd rather be able to "ping foo" though.

DoS is already disabled, and has been since the beginning. I also tried updating the firmware to the latest (3.6.7), but that didn't change this behaviour either.

I'm asking for something that feels like it should be default behaviour. Any ideas?

Moderators: Sami