DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Sharing a connection

• cullet16
  • Topic Author
More
29 Jan 2015 17:50 #82522 by cullet16
Sharing a connection was created by cullet16
My company are going to be moving into some new office space and will be getting a 100 M/bit lease line, the neighbouring office to us would like to share the connection with us 50/50.

What would be the best way to approach this taking into consideration both companies will both have their own routers/firewalls?

I have searched google and various methods have been mentioned however I want it to be a even 50/50 split.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2015 17:01 #82576 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: Sharing a connection
Who will be controller the router/firewall that sits between the leased line and the 2 networks?
Whoever it is need to set a bandwidth limit on each Office Subnet to not go above 50MB RX and TX.
I assume you wont need to know the total each side using though and just pay the bill 50/50

More
12 Feb 2015 13:46 #82673 by tobythetenor
Replied by tobythetenor on topic Re: Sharing a connection
Hi Cullet16,

never mind about the nominal speed for 50/50.
If only one side is using the connection at a certain time, surely it's not a problem if they use the full 100Mbit/s.
The problem arises when the connection is saturated, and neither user should have priority over the other.
This is called contention, and is a typical set-up on consumer connection (usually with around 50 users sharing a single connection on ADSL).
So you will need three router, one that connects to the leased line, and two that connect to the first router (which connects to the leased line).

On the first router, you will need to assign a subnet each for the 2nd and 3rd router.
You will then want to configure Quality of Service (QoS) so that both the 2nd and 3rd router have the same priority accessing bandwidth.
You will probably want to also configure certain priorities by Class of Service (CoS).
For example, say you are fully utilising the line at 100Mbit/s, but your neighbouring company is make a phone call using Voip.
Surely, they're phone traffic is more important than your downloads - else the call breaks up.
This is often pre-configured already.

In a nutshell, if you simply set up three routers in a triangle, fair sharing of the connection is pretty much already done for you.
Only special traffic (usually meaning voice or video conferencing) will need particular attention.
There is no need to assign 50% of the speed to each user.

Moderators: Sami