DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860+ 3.7.8 Acceleration oddity

• faris
  • Topic Author
More
30 Jan 2015 19:34 #82533 by faris
2860+ 3.7.8 Acceleration oddity was created by faris
I've just updated my 2860n+ to 3.7.8. I used the RST firmware as I was still having some problems with WiFi from time to time, and using the reset option was suggested as being the most sensible thing to do to resolve it.

After reconfiguring the router everything seemed to be great at first. But then I found I could not SSH to any external address. A little later I found I could not use the Pidgin chat client either. Nor could I access a particular web page over SSL that is firewalled to only accept connections from certain IPs (including my own).

Oddly, I could SSH from my Android phone (over Wifi).
And I could access other web pages over SSL from my PC - just not the one I needed.

After chasing my tail for ages trying to figure out what might be wrong, I found a new option in the GUI - Acceleration.
This was set to Auto. Setting it to Disabled resolved all my problems - ssh working, Pidgin working, and I can access the firewalled web page.

As a double-check, I set it to Auto again and BOOM, no SSH, no Pidgin, no firewalled web page.
And back to Disabled -- back to normal.

I'm not sure what to make of this. I don't really know what this option does other than Hardware Acceleration of downloads, whatever that really means.

Anyway, I thought I'd better post this here in case anyone else has mysterious problems - try disabling the Acceleration option to see if that resolves your issue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2015 17:06 #82539 by eric.jansen
Replied by eric.jansen on topic Re: 2860+ 3.7.8 Acceleration oddity
Where can I find this "Acceleration" option in GUI? Could this be a 2860n+ specific WiFi only option?
Thanks.

• faris
  • Topic Author
More
01 Feb 2015 18:46 #82540 by faris
Replied by faris on topic Re: 2860+ 3.7.8 Acceleration oddity
It is in the menu on the right. It may be a Plus-only option, yes.

More
01 Feb 2015 19:29 #82541 by eric.jansen
Replied by eric.jansen on topic Re: 2860+ 3.7.8 Acceleration oddity
Looking at webdemo: http://eu.draytek.com:12860/

cannot see the Acceleration option from main dashboard page, can you be a little more specific under what heading (left menu) this setting is available?
'm struggling with some dns lookup issues on a non-wifi 2860 running 3.7.8 and I'm intrigued by your findings.

More
01 Feb 2015 22:48 #82542 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2860+ 3.7.8 Acceleration oddity
the demo emulator is with the STD firmware ... it will appear ( & also with dsl stats page) if you will use the VECTOR firmware
http://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_jumi&view=application&fileid=15&Itemid=583&lang=en

For UK download pages it may be the vdsl firmware because i can see is larger file but i am not sure as i am not owning a 2860 ... however i am sure is together with vector firmware because is the same for my 2760

• faris
  • Topic Author
More
01 Feb 2015 23:14 #82543 by faris
Replied by faris on topic Re: 2860+ 3.7.8 Acceleration oddity
Yeah, I installed the VDSL firmware - you select wither ADSL or VDSL from the download page. There is no separate Vector firmware download option in this particular case, but I think the modem code option then allows you to choose Vector - I'm afraid I don't remember for sure though.

Moderators: Sami