DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Can two Draytek 2830 routers be connected for failover?

• mtcsltd
  • Topic Author
More
06 Feb 2015 15:22 #82613 by mtcsltd
Can two Draytek 2830 routers be connected for failover?

If there are two Draytek 2830 routers, each connected via the WAN2 port to a separate VDSL service, both with a static IP using the same broadband supplier, is it possible to connect those two routers using the gigabit LAN ports via a switch, such that all connected clients can access the internet?

The idea here is that each router would act as a failover device for the other, so that if one broadband line failed, data would route via the one still working, and end users on the client PC's would not have to do anything manually (like connecting to a different wireless network). I side benefit might be that the effective doubling of download speed, but it is really automatic failover that I would like to achieve. I imagine one router would need to handle DHCP, but I'm guessing this is going to very complicated and beyond my limited knowledge.

Is this what is referred to as bonding? A BT engineer told me a couple of days ago that bonding two ADSL/VDSL lines was not possible.

If not the 2830, perhaps another Draytek model could do it?

Is this possible?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2015 16:44 #82614 by sicon
The 3900 does High Availability but no the 2830s.

You could however use both WAN1 and WAN2 together in the same 2830 so if the line goes down the other stays up. If the 2830 itself failed then both line go down, that is when HA is recommended and comes into its own...

• mtcsltd
  • Topic Author
More
07 Feb 2015 10:01 #82621 by mtcsltd
Many thanks Sicon. I will take a look at the 3900.

Moderators: Sami