DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Is my new home network plan sensible...

• allat39
  • Topic Author
More
09 Feb 2015 12:04 #82634 by allat39
Hi,

I need to plan out a suitable arrangement to work at home, and I would appreciate any thoughts.

'PLAN A'
I start from the position that a new Vigor 2860 or similar would be the main router, accepting an ADSL2 line.
This gives our household about 3-4Mb/s for limited shared out broadband use, plus up to 1Gb/s Ethernet for sharing media/devices/storage between users.
Additionally, an existing AP800 or new 900 would extend the range of the Vigor 2860 to both offer 5Ghz Wi-Fi and also 1Gb/s ethernet.

ISSUES
Wiring with Ethernet is presenting difficulties, both practical and 'political' (small p).
Therefore I am proposing linking up to three 500Mb/s or 1000Mb/s Homeplug or Powerline connections to a mains extension lead (unfiltered) near the Master BT socket, and then the 'receiving Homeplug units' in suitable places around the house.
One of these receiving units is to have an AP900 attached and will both act as an Access Point for extending the Wi-Fi range, but will also have 2 storage units attached. e.g. NAS.

AIMS
To have a fast 1000 Ethernet network of 3-4 devices - particularly at one of the 'receiving Homeplug' units.
Not to have network slowdown (affecting the Ethernet links) because of 6 Wi-Fi users trying to get the best out of a slowish 3-4Mb/s Internet feed all at the same time.

QUESTION
Anyone care to comment on this please? Is it sensible, or could it be jiggered around to improve? Any experiences of these Homeplug / Powerline devices?

ALTERNATIVE PLAN B
If Plan A is constrained by NOT having a new Vigor router, and I have to carry on using a Technicolor Router (Ethernet = 100Mb/s), I am assuming that I can just substitute a new 2860 later on... Or not??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2015 13:45 #82638 by sicon
HI

Id be very surprised if you get gigabyte Ethernet over the power lines,
I have installed the Devlo 500 and they get about 260mb one-way about 200mn the other way, depending on the cabling (it comes with software that shows the link speeds).
If you are just having access points connected the power line kits then they will be fine but they wont give you the desired performance for the NAS.

The 2860 does bandwidth/session management and QOS but with 4Mb you don't really have much to play with...

• allat39
  • Topic Author
More
10 Feb 2015 15:44 #82649 by allat39
Replied by allat39 on topic Re: Is my new home network plan sensible...

sicon wrote: HI

Id be very surprised if you get gigabyte Ethernet over the power lines,
I have installed the Devlo 500 and they get about 260mb one-way about 200mn the other way, depending on the cabling (it comes with software that shows the link speeds).
If you are just having access points connected the power line kits then they will be fine but they wont give you the desired performance for the NAS.

The 2860 does bandwidth/session management and QOS but with 4Mb you don't really have much to play with...

Thanks sicon!

It seems to me (just like Wi-Fi specs) that the reality is that things are slower.

I looked on Amazon and then did some Googling and the 1Gbs are few and far between. Even the respected Netgear seems to have a top limit of 500.
I think internally our family will be ok with speeds for media sharing, but I am sitting back and not rushing to just jump in...

Thanks for the information about the Devlo. That's very helpful

Appreciated.

Moderators: Sami