DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Does a 2860n need protecting from voltage spikes?

• hansfords
  • Topic Author
More
10 Feb 2015 09:57 #82647 by hansfords
Hi,

I have a 2860n that until recently used an ADSL connection and I used a surge protector to protect it from voltage spikes. I have now upgraded to VDSL (FTTC) and have noticed the download speed is ~11 with the surge protector and ~15 without. Does the 2860n need protecting from voltage spikes and, if so, how should one go about doing so? When I upgraded I took delivery of the openreach modem and router, just so I can use it if I have connection problems and need PlusNet to investigate. I know I could put the modem before the 2860n (a cheaper device to fry) but would that offer sufficient protection, would I get as good a connection and how can I monitor the speed it is giving me?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2015 16:35 #82651 by babis3g
Answering some of the question ... is been advised sensitive electronics devices ( so a modem), in general may need a spike protector so it may be good idea to get one if you have expensive equipment

Talking Personal experience now ... i don't use one & where i am now (Greece) we have the most lightings & dc
I guess (for my case) especially for lighting is amount of time when one will hit me close by so if i am home & there is a thunderstorm, most of times i disconnect (unplug) from the wall modem & pc
I even have heard (during thunderstorm) the spikes noise of them out of the usb port of the weather server, where the output port of my weather station is connecting to the server port

i guess spike / lighting if is close, even if there is not damage, it may put some extra strain on the components by time (including my modem) .. example its life get sorter

I have seen other users in the forum here their modem is been damaged from spikes (most they have recover it) ... or due to dc ,,, or lighting ... my local dslam is been affected by thunderstorm ... guess is luck and personal i believe if ever there is a bad issue/case of spikes it may not helps a surge or spike protector unless you have a top & expensive quality

About the surge protector which giving you lower speed , my guess are 2 cases
Or you have other devices plug in as well ... try the 2860 alone if still have lower speed
or the way the protector works, gives noise to the modem (check the snr margin before & after)

More
12 Feb 2015 13:37 #82670 by tobythetenor
Hansfords, is the spike protector you are using for the power, or for the DSL line?

• hansfords
  • Topic Author
More
12 Feb 2015 13:51 #82675 by hansfords
The spike protector is for both the power and the DSL line. It is the Belkin SurgeMaster, 1-Way MasterCube with Tel/Fax/Modem Protection .

More
12 Feb 2015 20:36 #82679 by tobythetenor
I see.
I wouldn't have thought the power-half will make any difference to the speed.
With regards to the VDSL connection, VDSL uses a band of frequencies to communicate (like an old radio).
Feeding the VDSL signal through any kind of electronic equipment will reduce its quality to a certain extent.
With plain old DSL, you probably won't notice any difference, ADSL2+ was a bit touchier and VDSL is just very sensitive to outside interference (simply because the used frequency band is wider, same reason why you need a street cabinet rather than going all the way to the exchange).
If you have you telephone cable coming in through the road, I think it's extremely unlikely that you will experience a power surge of any manner on the telephone line - Openreach will have taken good care to protect their equipment, which you are downstream of.
If the telephone line comes in via a telegraph pole however, there is of course a chance that lightening will strike (or some other disaster happens). In this case, the surge protector may make sense. However, if actual lightening strikes close to your house, I'm not sure if the surge protector will make much difference.
I guess that's your call to make.

More
12 Feb 2015 21:24 #82683 by babis3g
If you protect your pc they will find a way to go in
if you protect your property perhaps still can find a way in
if you protect the equipment as you say if the lighting is near by i am not sure a protector will help

I am not using one & here are so many lightings and the phone line exposed to a pole

IF ever have an issue you can recover your vigor via this guide, just use the correct files for your model
http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18763#p77799

Moderators: Sami