DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Increasing DHCP Clients

• bartonn
  • Topic Author
More
25 Feb 2015 08:57 #82760 by bartonn
Increasing DHCP Clients was created by bartonn
I have just put a Vigor 2830 ADSL2+ into a hotel. One of the problems was that the previous router (a BT Business Hub) kept running out of IP addresses, the scope was 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.254.
I want to greatly increase the number of devices that can be attached, frequently people only stay a day or so and there tends to be a lot of expired leases.
I have set the IP address as 10.0.0.1 and the subnet as 255.0.0.0
The ip pool count I have set to 240.
I think that will still only give them 240 leases, how do I increase this up to a couple of thousand?

Neil Barton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bartonn
  • Topic Author
More
26 Feb 2015 09:10 #82777 by bartonn
Replied by bartonn on topic Re: Increasing DHCP Clients
Could VLans help?
This thread:
http://www.abptech.com/blog/configure-draytek-to-handle-two-separated-lans/feed
says that an SSID can be assigned to it's own VLAN. This may help a lot. Unfortunately it only tells you how to assign a VLAN to a physical port. How do I assign an SSID to a port. I have 4 of them (each extender has it's own SSID) so if I can do what it says then it would go a long way to solving the issue.
Making a VLAN for each port may help a bit but I don't think it will quite give me what I need.
Any help appreciated!

Neil Barton

• bartonn
  • Topic Author
More
26 Feb 2015 09:15 #82778 by bartonn
Sorry, just noticed the big section on wireless LAN SSIDs, that answers that question. So, presumably I can setup each SSID on a different VLAN and have 253 devices on each VLAN. Is that the best answer to provide more devices?
It seems such a simple thing (and a common requirement) it's surprising that it is so difficult, is there a simpler option?

Neil Barton

More
27 Feb 2015 10:47 #82786 by tobythetenor
Replied by tobythetenor on topic Re: Increasing DHCP Clients
Why don't you simply increase the IP Pool Count?
With you address and subnet mask, you have 16,777,213 addresses available.
That should cover you for a few days, no?

• bartonn
  • Topic Author
More
27 Feb 2015 10:56 #82787 by bartonn
Thanks for responding.

The maximum it allows is 253. Any bigger number is not accepted. Is there a setting somewhere where I can change this behaviour?

Neil Barton

More
27 Feb 2015 22:01 #82790 by tobythetenor
Replied by tobythetenor on topic Re: Increasing DHCP Clients
Ah - I never realised, but on my 2860, the maximum number is 256 as well (telnet: "srv dhcp ipcnt 256").

You could reduce the lease time (telnet: "srv dhcp leasetime 3600" sets it to one hour (normally 24)). This time, you'll have fewer expired leases.

You don't have to use the Draytek as DHCP server. For example, you could buy a 2nd hand D-Link DIR-615 (~£10 on eBay), flash it with DD-WRT and use it as DHCP server only (DD-WRT will surely allow you 1000s of clients).

Or, if you happen to have a Windows or Linux Server (or NAS even), it can also act as DHCP server.
You can split ranges, so that (going back to your 10.0.0.0 example), the Draytek assigns addresses 10.1.0.0 - 10.1.0.255 and the server / other router assigns 10.1.1.1 - 10.255.255.255, thus providing a failover.
Assuming you don't use any fancy IP phones or other equipment, the DHCP server really just assigns IP addresses and DNS servers. All the actual routing work is still done by the Draytek.

Probably worth raising this limitation with support. I mainly work with static IPs, so I've never been in a situation where I ran out of DHCP leases, but 256 seems just a very silly arbitrary limit. It's not that much extra work / memory is required to keep a DHCP table for more.

PS: Advice, don't use the whole of the 10.0.0.0/8 subnet. Make it a 10.0.0.0/16 (255.255.0.0 mask), still leaves plenty of addresses (~65,000), but also leaves room to section off separate parts of the network should the need arise. Much easier to do within the same network class.

Moderators: Sami