DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830n Lan DNS setup

• diorich
  • Topic Author
More
28 Feb 2015 09:13 #82792 by diorich
2830n Lan DNS setup was created by diorich
Hi I wonder if there is anyone else out there that has had issues setting up the Lan DNS in applications.
I have so far reset the router to default settings installed numerous versions of the latest firmware including the recommended the router works fine with everything else but will not resolve domain names on a local Lan. I have a very basic setup with a windows PC an IMac and a MacBook pro plus 2 raspberry pi's none of these will use domain names but they will all use the equivalent IP address for example mydomain.com = 192.168.1.35 only the IP address will work. I have followed numerous setup guides all of which have failed all though my friend has a vigor 2925 which we setup in a matter of minutes with no problems and worked flawlessly. I have even tried using the Lan DNS to block webpages as described in the guides i.e. you point for example *.facebook.com to 192.168.1.1 but even this fails so I am at the point of taking a big hammer to it at the moment (lol)it is so frustrating.
I have tried changing the SSL VPN port of 443 to 4433 as suggested this made no difference I have forced the Lan setting to use LAN DNS 192.168.1.1 in the LAN settings which it happily confirms on the router status page. I have tried changing the default port of the router login webpage to 8080 just incase !! anyone got any other ideas please..

If this is a common problem I apologise as I tried to search the forum but told me that Lan and dns were to common a phrase and so I didn't know how else to phrase it as that is the only problem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2015 11:13 #82793 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2830n Lan DNS setup
If you mean Applications >> LAN DNS then ... i have seen a case mentioned a bug with 2830 and 3.6.8 (in this case can find idrac of a server) ... is been reported to main Taiwan but can also ask the UK support
Not sure if you have wrong settings ( i am not using this feature)
If you use previous firmware (3.6.7.2) i think should work fine this feature

• diorich
  • Topic Author
More
28 Feb 2015 17:06 #82796 by diorich
Replied by diorich on topic Re: 2830n Lan DNS setup
HI just as an update i can confirm that it is in fact a firmware error i rolled it back to v3.6.6.1 and it worked fine and slowly worked forward till it failed which was on the latest firmware so anyone who has a similar problem just roll it back one all is good

More
03 Mar 2015 13:21 #82825 by fchef
Replied by fchef on topic Re: 2830n Lan DNS setup
Lan DNS is broken in 3.6.8
I have been in contact with the tech support and they are working on it.
Revert back top 3.6.7.2

More
10 Mar 2015 16:39 #82913 by briain
Replied by briain on topic Re: 2830n Lan DNS setup

fchef wrote: Lan DNS is broken in 3.6.8
I have been in contact with the tech support and they are working on it.
Revert back top 3.6.7.2

Hi

I have also just reported this (before spotting this thread on the forum); I had to revert to 3.6.3 to fix things (as that's the only other version I have).

I am using two routers (thus double NATng) with an 'outer' router (Sky; connected to the ADSL) and an 'inner' one (Draytek 2830Vn; it's WAN 2 connected to the Sky router's LAN) and I noticed that if you populate the Draytek's second DNS fiend (either LAN side or WAN side) with the Sky router's address, it shows as reachable when using DNSBench.exe (from http://www.grc.com), but if you populate the first DNS field (LAN or WAN) with the Sky router's IP, it is not reachable. The only way to set it (other than leaving it blank and thus sending DHCP clients the public ones) is to set a public as first and the outer router's as second, but that means you'd not be using the DNS cache in the router (one assumes).

What I had before was the LAN side of the Draytek set with 1sd DNS as it's own IP and second DNS as the Sky router's IP (so clients looked at the Draytek cache first, then the Sky cache second) but that does not work with 3.6.8. I spent a day faffing about with various combinations of settings before concluding that the current firmware does not work as expected (but 3.6.3 works perfectly, in that respect).

Bri

NB Is there a site with a list of previous FW versions? I used 3.6.3 as that was the only other one I had. I know I once tried the version released after 3.6.3, but that had other problems (I use tag VLAN's to a Cisco 1252 WAP and on VLAN 2, it only issued an IP to the first [wireless] client; subsequent ones got no DHCP settings from the Draytek).

Moderators: Sami