DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2820n Slower connection than other router

• adriandonlan
  • Topic Author
More
10 Mar 2015 11:44 #82904 by adriandonlan
Hi
I have a Vigor 2820n with the latest firmware 3.3.7.6_211801. I have always struggled with a slow connections to the exchange - this is primarily the fault of BT and their poor lines in my area however I have recently been trying to get this resolved via my provider (currently EE but about to be changed). I have tried the connection with all of the variants of ADSL (ADSL2 etc) and I have found that the Vigor router is consistently providing a slower connection that the BrightBox router supplied by EE. This was also the same when I used a BT home hub. Does anyone have any ideas why this might be? Given my poor speeds (488000 bytes download currently) even an additional 100 to 200k makes a difference. When I put the BrightBox on it auto-negotiates to G.992.5 and I can get around 700000 bytes download, when I switch to the Vigor I only get 488000! Does anyone have any ideas? Clearly I can stop using the Vigor but the other features on the device are better so I don't really want to.

Any additional help if gratefully accepted.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2015 12:50 #82907 by davidsh
Do you have anything set up under the Bandwidth Management section, most specifically the Quality of Service settings within the 2820n? I tried setting these up a while ago and failed miserably, resulting in a drop in speed. I've no idea why, but it did have a demonstrable effect on my download speeds.

• adriandonlan
  • Topic Author
More
10 Mar 2015 13:03 #82909 by adriandonlan
Replied by adriandonlan on topic Re: Vigor 2820n Slower connection than other router
interestingly I did play around with that several I will check an see if it makes a difference.

• adriandonlan
  • Topic Author
More
10 Mar 2015 16:37 #82912 by adriandonlan
Replied by adriandonlan on topic Re: Vigor 2820n Slower connection than other router
I turned off any QoS and it did increase the speed by around 10kbs but not in the same region as changing the router.

More
10 Mar 2015 20:09 #82914 by babis3g
use modem code 2471201 ... is the fastest modem code you can get
You can also set manually adsl2+, (modulation>lan>internet access) to make sure it will lock at its best & set correct MTU from isp

• adriandonlan
  • Topic Author
More
11 Mar 2015 09:40 #82918 by adriandonlan
The 2820n does not automatically connect to the isp, I have manually set the adsl2+ to all of the settings to test the best one. Interestingly when I use the same setting as the ISP router (G.992.5) I get a slower speed than with G.992.3.
I use the 211801 as this is supposed to be the best code for poor quality lines (which mine certainly is). Also ADSL2+ is for me a joke as I can't even get a decent ADSL speed.
I will switch to 2471201 and test again.

Moderators: Sami