Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

How do I set up a subnet?

• alka5eltzer
  • Topic Author
More
12 Mar 2015 10:01 #82934 by alka5eltzer
How do I set up a subnet? was created by alka5eltzer
HI All,

How would I do this on a Vigor2830.... (forgive me if I don't use the correct jargon)

My customer's IT dept connect to my office/factory via VPN. At the moment they're happy using the ip address for the computer that I've assigned .. 192.168.1.248

But... they would now like to VPN in and connect the Computer I have to their network to do some testing (we build machines and this machine will be reading/writing data to their servers).
So when they VPN in... it'll be as if the computer is on their network.

The IP address they'd like me to assign to the computer is 192.168.12.254.

How would I go about doing this if my own network is of the range 192.168.1.1 etc

Do I need to set up a subnet of some sort?

There's no physical connection between the computer and my Vigor as it passes through a switch before it gets to the Vigor2830 (so I can't put the patch cable in to any of the other LAN ports). The machine computer is on another floor/part of the building.

I know the MAC address of the computer.

Any ideas how I can do this?.. any help would be much appreciated.

Shay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2015 13:47 #82935 by tobythetenor
Replied by tobythetenor on topic Re: How do I set up a subnet?
There's a section in the VPN Remote-Dial-In user configuration that lets you assign any subnet you like for assigning DHCP addresses to remote users.
There is automatic routing between local subnets and remote ones.

• alka5eltzer
  • Topic Author
More
12 Mar 2015 17:30 #82939 by alka5eltzer
Replied by alka5eltzer on topic Re: How do I set up a subnet?
Thanks... is there instructions for this? :?:

More
12 Mar 2015 19:17 #82940 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: How do I set up a subnet?
Your topology really isn't clear.

You have a network? Someone else, another office want to dial-in (connect to) YOUR network?

Do they want to connect one PC at the other site to your network, or the whole network ?

Or is it the other way around ?

Assuming the above, then their remote PC would dial-into your network as a teleworker VPN, and be assigned an IP address on your network temporarily for the duration of the connection. They don't tell you what IP address they want to use....they get given one by your network.

On the other hand if you want the two networks permanently connected, then you set up a LAN-to-LAN VPN... but they still don't tell you what IP address to use... they use theirs, your use yours.... the only requirement is that the two networks are in different subnets (e.g. 192.168.1.0/24 and 192.168.5.0/24).

Forum Administrator

Moderators: Sami