DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Inherited a customer with a 2820 - help unravelling setup!

• jarvmeister
  • Topic Author
More
14 Mar 2015 18:45 #82959 by jarvmeister
Hi All,

Today I went to a customer's restaurant. They have two 2820n (not wireless) units, one that provides the Guest internet access, and one that provides the management with internet.

The ISP asked me to amend the ISP login details on each of the routers, and because neither of us knew the router login, and the customer had no idea who set them up, I did a factory reset on both of them and we got both up and running on the internet within a matter of minutes.

Now I'll focus on the guest unit. The wireless equipment is patched into the 2820 via port 2, not sure if that's relevant, but that was the port the switch was patched into. I assigned the Vigor the same IP address that it had before (192.168.1.254) and connected to the Guest wireless to see if I could get access.

I could not. Checking my IP address on the wireless card I'd been assigned an IP address of 192.168.80.x with a default gateway of 192.168.80.254. If I browsed to 192.168.80.254 I could see the login page for the wireless access point that had assigned my IP via DHCP.

What was set on the Vigor prior to me resetting it that allowed traffic coming in on P2 (may be irrelevant) with a 192.168.80.x address? I tried enabling VLAN and assigning P1, P3 and P4 to VLAN0 and P2 to VLAN1, but with no joy. In the past, I've setup 2850 to have a port assigned, but I've set it to be assigned to a certain SUBNET (LAN2 for example) but there is no way of assigning the VLAN to a certain subnet on the 2820 as far as I can see, so I might be looking at the wrong thing.

Hopefully someone will be able to assist, and I thank anyone in advance for their help. I have remote access to the router.

Ross

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Mar 2015 15:48 #82981 by sicon
IIRC the 2820 doesn't do multiple subnets so they may have enabled VLAN on port 2 for the the AP then the AP is controlling its own LAN with the 2820 just being in a port based vlan.

they may have also enabled the 2nd subnet feature but thats quite a micky mouse way of doing it.

• jarvmeister
  • Topic Author
More
17 Mar 2015 10:20 #82988 by jarvmeister
Yes, it certainly seems there is no multiple subnet options on this router.

So, I've assigned P2 to VLAN1 and all the other ports to VLAN0.

Do I not need to do anything in LAN > General Setup regarding the IP Routing section?

At the moment it just doesn't work, and all I've done is setup the router with the same IP address as it had before, with P2 physically connected to the wireless equipment. So, something else needs to be set on the Vigor to allow the wireless traffic (on 192.168.80.x coming in on P2) out onto the internet.

More
17 Mar 2015 14:31 #82991 by sicon
Are you able to get into the Access point and see what its default gateway is?

I would say the WAP is plugged in and getting DHCP from the 2820 it it got a 192.168.1.x adress and then it allocate its own DHCP address to the Wifi Clients.

Can you see from the ARP table if the WAP is listed or in the DHCP table under the diagnostics page?

Moderators: Sami