DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Ping via 3G

• Andrew
  • Topic Author
More
22 Mar 2015 16:55 #83001 by Andrew
Ping via 3G was created by Andrew
I have a 2930 setup with a Vodafone 3G USB stick. The router can successfully connect to the internet. The PC connected to the router can browse the network. However I'm trying to get dial in VPN via PPTP working. I can't seem to ping the router using 3G. Nor can I connect on HTTP or via PPTP. Do Vodafone block any ports on a PAYG number? I'm using APN : Smart PPP Username & password : web.

Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andrew
  • Topic Author
More
22 Mar 2015 20:28 #83003 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic Re: Ping via 3G
Sorry, I'm being a bit stupid today. I've just worked out Vodafone are allocating private IP addresses. I had foolishly assumed they were dynamic public addresses. Can you get a Vodafone SIM (or APN setting) to allocate a public IP address? I don't mind if it's a dynamic public as I can presumably use Dyndns to resolve that.

I'm trying to configure a 2830 with 3G Vodafone dongle to allow remote support of a Windows server. I originally assumed I could make a PPTP connection to the router. Perhaps I need to consider setting up a LAN-to-LAN VPN back to my office (which has a static public IP address). That way the remote site will establish an outbound connection over the Vodafone network.

Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami