DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Using 2830 with no ISP/ADSL ?

More
26 Mar 2015 09:52 #83027 by gtech
Using 2830 with no ISP/ADSL ? was created by gtech
Hi,

I think I know the answer to the following, but wanted to double check before creating a headache for myself.

I have a Vigor 2830 router, which I would like to use purely for its Content Management/Firewall & DHCP capabilities. The reason why:

I am configuring a public wireless network using Unifi AP Pro AP's which are hard wired directly back to a Ubiquiti 500W PoE Switch. I know I can assign static IP's to the AP's, but until its proven with a good running setup, I want to just go with DHCP as this is the simplest option using the UniFi software.

Internet access is provided by a bonded circuit (provider is not running dhcp on the router)

So I was thinking of using the spare 2830, just to do the DHCP, Content Filtering (I am subscribed) and Firewall. Could I connect the Vigor WAN port to the router provided by the ISP ?

Can anyone see any issues with using the 2830 this way, by not having it connected to the ISP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2015 10:08 #83051 by jam_man
Replied by jam_man on topic Re: Using 2830 with no ISP/ADSL ?
As long as the "internet" provided goes via the wan2 port.

Its not real different to using the router on a cable service like Virgin Media where they supply a router and you run the draytek off the back of it.

More
31 Mar 2015 10:15 #83052 by gtech
Replied by gtech on topic Re: Using 2830 with no ISP/ADSL ?

jam_man wrote: As long as the "internet" provided goes via the wan2 port.

Its not real different to using the router on a cable service like Virgin Media where they supply a router and you run the draytek off the back of it.

Thanks for that, very much appreciated, I shall be setting up a test configuration later tomorrow

Thanks

Moderators: Sami