DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Two routers, two internet connections, one network

• shaneoh1980
  • Topic Author
More
16 Apr 2015 10:56 #83185 by shaneoh1980
Hi all,

I'm new to any kind of networking and kind of trying to find my way in a new job for a small company, so firstly please excuse my newb status!

We have two Draytek routers - a Vigor 2850 and a 2860. We have been using the 2860 with a dedicated data connection for a while now, and have left the 2850 unused. As of yesterday, we have a new fibre connection read to go. I can run it through the 2850 and it all works well.

My question is twofold. If I can use an adaptor, will the fibre connection work through the ADSL/VDSL connection on the 2860? Then we could run both connections in, load-balance etc, easy (as we did previously with a standard broadband connection running alongside the dedicated data service). If so, no problems. I'm just not sure if that ADSL/VDSL input is purely limited to those technologies or if it doesn't matter.

However, second question: if that isn't possible, can anybody point me to instructions to connect the two routers together, each running a different internet connection, but operating as "one network"? To be clear: what I need is for people in the office to all have local access to the infrastructure we host in the office - so be connected to the same network as all of our servers and the applications/files they host. Effectively, I'd need everybody to be able to connect to a machine here using 192.168.1.100 (or whatever), while still utilising all the bandwidth those two connections provide. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2015 11:24 #83187 by sicon
Hi
Get rid of the 2850 altogether as a gateway...

FTTC works through the RJ11 (WAN1) fine on a 2860 (its what its designed for) then put the other line on WAN2 using a PPOE connection.

This is how you configure the ADSL/VDSL interface for FTTC

Once both WANs are online you can use route polices to Load Balance

• shaneoh1980
  • Topic Author
More
16 Apr 2015 11:32 #83188 by shaneoh1980
sicon, thank you so much - that's all I need to know. We just don't have an adapter cable believe it or not, so I'm off the get one. Appreciate the quick response, cheers.

More
16 Apr 2015 14:58 #83193 by sicon
you shouldn't need a adapter just the Rj11 phone lead that comes in the box.

• shaneoh1980
  • Topic Author
More
16 Apr 2015 15:52 #83196 by shaneoh1980
Both of our internet connections enter our premises via RJ45 connections - so can't plug directly into the ADSL/VDSL input on the router. A cable which is RJ11 at one end and RJ45 at the other end seems the only way to do this that I can think of.

More
16 Apr 2015 16:36 #83197 by sicon
Oh I see, usually FTTC is presented with an RJ11.
Are you on EFM or a leased line then?

Moderators: Sami