DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Two routers, two internet connections, one network

• shaneoh1980
  • Topic Author
More
17 Apr 2015 07:19 #83200 by shaneoh1980
BT call it both - it's under their Leased Line products but they call it EFM as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2015 10:42 #83204 by voodle
Try this: http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-vlan-connecting-lan-subnets
it fits your requirements pretty well, you probably just need to set up the static route. Then the 2830 can route between the two networks and the 2820 knows to send traffic there to get to the other network

• shaneoh1980
  • Topic Author
More
20 Apr 2015 10:30 #83227 by shaneoh1980
I was really hoping to just be able to use the two connections in one router rather than going the subnet route. But I'll do that if I have to.

More
20 Apr 2015 16:38 #83230 by sicon

Voodle wrote: Try this: http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-vigor-vlan-connecting-lan-subnets
it fits your requirements pretty well, you probably just need to set up the static route. Then the 2830 can route between the two networks and the 2820 knows to send traffic there to get to the other network

I tried using IP routed subnet recently on a 2860N that already had VLANs configured and after a reboot it switch off (greyed out) all the configured VLANS.

• shaneoh1980
  • Topic Author
More
21 Apr 2015 09:09 #83233 by shaneoh1980
OK so...I now have two internet connections working - a Vaioni fibre connection on the 2850 and a BT EFM line on the 2860.

However...both enter our premises with a RJ45 cable. Neither of these routers has the capacity to take two separate internet connections via RJ45. I thought I would be able to remedy this by connecting one of them into the RJ11 port on the router, but it turns out this won't work as it's not as simple as using an adapter cable (I have tried).

Does anyone have any ideas about what else I can do? Subnetting looks like an option but I'm not really clear on what this involves - would each user be tied to a particular network and therefore internet connection? Would I lose any ability to load balance between the two? Would people connected on one effectively be connected on two and therefore be able to connect to infrastructure as though they were on the same network?

More
21 Apr 2015 12:45 #83236 by sicon
Send the 2860 back and get the 2925 instead or is it too late?

Moderators: Sami