DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860n-plus crashing when I try to use SNMP

• cardare
  • Topic Author
More
21 Apr 2015 10:29 #83235 by cardare
Hi,

Having an issue with my Vigor 2860n-plus whereby it crashes (reboots spontaneously without warning) or stops giving me SNMP output after giving me a little bit of legit SNMP output.

I at first tried using the firmware loaded on the device when I received it. SNMPWALK (on a CentOS box) successfully got three pages worth of SNMP output from the device, then it stopped responding in the middle of output. At this point, the router didn't restart, but subsequent attempts at using snmpwalk resulted in the same issues occuring. I can't seem to get afull SNMP output from it, only a partial one before the device timesout in the middle of snmpwalk receiving data.

Here's where things got weird. I'm trying to set up RTG (similar codebase to MRTG) on the same box so I can log the data to MySQL so I can plot custom graphs and get other data from it. At first all queries were coming up "noSuchName". I found this to be an issue with the python script which I fixed (querying wrong OID). Now, however it succeeds in getting information from the first couple of interfaces, and then does very similarly to snmpwalk, and stops responding. At this point however, I lose internet connectivity and find the router has restarted itself. I managed to reproduce this 3 or 4 times without failure.

I tried updating to the latest firmware available for this device via the Draytek site, which was the VDSL .all build (wanted to avoid resetting the settings). I tried the same command with the device running the latest firmware, and the issue occured again. Tried twice just to rule it out, but again the issue was reproducible 100% of the time.

This one is weird. I had a quick look at the logs which are stored on a connected USB stick to see if there were anything obvious but there was absolutely nothing to suggest there was a problem at the time the router rebooted.

I'm guessing this isn't an issue with all Draytek products but just my model (or perhaps, just my unit?) or maybe I'm overlooking a setting.

Any ideas? I'm at work at the moment so when I head home I'll dive in to the logs and provide them accordingly along with command output.

Many thanks in advance,
- Cardare

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2015 19:12 #83241 by babis3g
First try to turn off Hardware Acceleration ...

I am not sure if is a bug, but really a reset after a firmware may helps ... however may not be promising so you take the risk

If you try the reset option, backup, reset ... then set your internet parameters and then set SNMP (take some screenshot before) and see if works ...
if it does work, it looks like you are going for a fresh settings back from the begin,or email the support if any other user not confirm is a bug
In the case you will end up with the support, it may be handy to capture some logs with the smart monitor / syslog to provide them (for not delay you)

More
22 Apr 2015 21:38 #83250 by chrisw
FYI SNMP is working fine with my 2860n - but admittedly only for WAN/VDSL data monitoring, so just 4 OID's.

Moderators: Sami