Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2830 DHCP LAN and public IPs too

• danrimer
  • Topic Author
More
30 Apr 2015 19:47 #83324 by danrimer
2830 DHCP LAN and public IPs too was created by danrimer
Hello

Excuse this post if this question has already been asked/answered before...

I have a block of 8 public IPs.
At present I have the office network connected to the DHCP server of the router and all the clients browse using the default static IP address. I have a number of VMs and regular servers that have open ports/routed IPs to the other public IPs.

What I want to do is leave the office PCs connected as they are, but give some of the servers the "real" public IPs... Is this possible?

If it is possible, could somebody be so kind as to explain how?

many thanks

Dan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2015 13:49 #83333 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: 2830 DHCP LAN and public IPs too
If you have the WAN Subnet Alias' set up then you can easily do what you want with a mixture of Open Ports and address/route polices.

Open the ports to the WAN IP Alias and point to that open ports group to the specific LAN server,

IN the load balance/routing polices choose the same LAN address as the source but set the Interface to be the WAN IP Alias.

I usually check it has the correct IP by going to IPChicken.com

Failing the above you need to set up an IP routed subnet as LAN 1 and reconfigure the LAN for the rest of the PCs are another VLAN

• danrimer
  • Topic Author
More
01 May 2015 14:16 #83334 by danrimer
Replied by danrimer on topic Re: 2830 DHCP LAN and public IPs too
Hi sicon,

I believe I have already set it up as you suggest. The servers have internal IP addresses that are routed via the specific IPs listed in "Load-Balance/Route Policy". When I go to whatsmyip.org, it shows the public IP to be the correct address.

However, what I need to do is actually have a server with a public IP address as its real IP. Your 2nd solution may do this, however, I have never set up a VLAN before! Any help or examples would be much appreciated!!

I read an article elsewhere that said I could send public IPs to a different LAN socket on the router... is this possible or was the guy mistaken?

Thanks again.

More
01 May 2015 16:50 #83339 by sicon
Replied by sicon on topic Re: 2830 DHCP LAN and public IPs too
I never put IP routed subnet into a live environment but I think it basically bridges the LAN1 interface as extension on the WAN.
I think if you do this though It disabled multi IP subnets and you ate left with just 1 using LAN.
Someone else might need to verify what I am saying.

One question though... unless you are using some kind of Penetration or compliance test how would the outside world know if it the server is a real IP or not when you use Mapped IPS?

• danrimer
  • Topic Author
More
01 May 2015 17:52 #83341 by danrimer
Replied by danrimer on topic Re: 2830 DHCP LAN and public IPs too
I'm hosting a web server (amongst other things). I'm using centos 6.6 with centos web-panel. This panel requires a public IP

- We only support static IP addresses. We do not support dynamic, sticky, or internal IP addresses.

When I start the server, it shows the current public IP that has been assigned. When I try to browse a website, the site comes up with the default centos/apache page. If I change the web panel's public IP address to the internal IP, the websites then work. However, there are other problems that I won't go into right now... Needless to say, I want a public IP for this box!!

More
01 May 2015 18:18 #83343 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: 2830 DHCP LAN and public IPs too
I don't know much about this stuff but I have used both the

IP routed subnet approach https://www.draytek.co.uk/archive/kb/kb_vigor_2ndsubnet.html

and the Multi-NAT approach https://www.draytek.co.uk/archive/kb_vigor_multinat.html

(currently using the latter)

which I think will achieve what you want - I have 3 devices which have their own public IP addresses and are accessible from outside via port 80 on those addresses.

Moderators: ChrisSami