DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Multiple static IPs but only gateway presenting

• gary.lane
  • Topic Author
More
05 May 2015 18:31 #83355 by gary.lane
I am driving myself nutty here. I have a block of static IPs (.24 to .31) .24 and .31 are ignored. I set .25 as my "fixed IP" on the Internet access setup page for the PPPoE connection.

I create an IP-routed subnet with .26 as my IP address for routing usage.

But whatever IP I set machines to behind the router they only ever present as .25. I can see the Network Connection Details on a connection's status in Windows for example correctly identifying the connection as having a .28 IP address with a gateway address of .26 (I've tried .25 as well) but when I do a "what's my ip" I only ever get .25 returned.

I really have tried to follow all the guidelines but I am completely lost. What am I doing wrong (I'm with Plusnet VDSL2 by the way).

Thanks for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2015 19:30 #83357 by adriandaz
Hi, have you had a look at this yet?

https://www.draytek.co.uk/archive/kb/kb_vigor_2ndsubnet.html

More
05 May 2015 20:21 #83358 by galaxynik
ok the .24 is the network address and the .31 is the broadcast address neither usable for you

Do plusnet dynamically assign your router ip? Im with zen and on the page with pppoe settings I have dynamically ticked and zen then assigns the .30 address to the router (addresses changed to fit your example)

on the subnet page LHS I would assign the .25 address (with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.248) RHS set the first address as .26 with ip pool counts at 4. lease time 259200 and tick by mac address. Insert the mac address of the machines you want to have public Ips. (I couldnt get mine to work unless I let dhcp allocate - fixed Ips on machines didnt work even though the details were the same). If you want the machines to get fixed ips then after they have connected go to the go to the bind ip to mac under lan set up and associate the external ips to mac (they now appear in the selection box) the xboxes (in my case) all get public I/ps and are not behind a NAT (games like advanced warfare report the ip address as the correct public ip not the router ip).

Now As far as I can see this is the method from draytek but it means that you only have 4 usable ips + your router ip but for me the following gives me 5 ips + router Ip
on the subnet page LHS I would assign the .30 address (with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.248) RHS set the first address as .25 with ip pool counts at 5.

• gary.lane
  • Topic Author
More
06 May 2015 10:50 #83363 by gary.lane

adriandaz wrote: Hi, have you had a look at this yet?

https://www.draytek.co.uk/archive/kb/kb_vigor_2ndsubnet.html

Yes, that is the guide I had been following but couldn't get it to work. I have now realised what is preventing it from working but not why: it is all to do with the failover.

I want to ahve it setup so that if my WAN1 connection goes down then WAN2 kicks in automatically. I understand that obviosuly the IP routed subnet clients will no longer have their allocated IPs, but I want them to ahve internet access and I want the NATed clients to have internet access. But if I put a failover rule in place then I get the following behaviour:

Force NAT: all IP-routed subnet clients get the gateway address not their assigned address
Force IP routed: no internet connectivity for the NATed clients.

How do I achieve my goal?

More
06 May 2015 12:42 #83364 by adriandaz
Have you configured any load balance/route policies yet?

• gary.lane
  • Topic Author
More
06 May 2015 12:52 #83365 by gary.lane
Thanks for replying adriandaz - I have just discovered the issue. My failover rule was causing the problem. I have now changed the failover rule (from WAN1 to WAN2) to only apply to my private IP NATed subnet. Now all is good again. Previously it was applying to all IPs (NATed and public) and this is what was causing the issue.

Moderators: ChrisSami