DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2850n to 2860ac upgrade, config compatible?

• sevilla315
  • Topic Author
More
10 May 2015 00:00 #83384 by sevilla315
Hi,
I've just upgraded my 2850n which has been discontinued - it hasn't received a firmware update for some time, and tbh I've had quite a few problems with it from day one, requiring draytek support on a number of occasions in the past two years.
Can I just restore the 2850n config backup to the 2860ac, or do I have to do this manually, copying each piece of information over?

Thanks,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 May 2015 02:17 #83385 by babis3g
Latest firmware for the 2850 was not long, about a month ago, but not sure what of your issues can fix
& Yes you can as long the firmware is 3.6.5 & later ... current latest 3.6.8
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-transferring-configurations

Remember even with same model it's always best to use the *rst* file extension for a clean install ( *rst* returns all settings back to factory defaults) after a major firmware update ...
& of course all settings back from the begin manually to have less chance getting a bug from previous firmwares
Example having 3.6.3 going so many firmwares forward to 3.6.8 ... it may be good idea to do this

• sevilla315
  • Topic Author
More
10 May 2015 11:02 #83387 by sevilla315
Replied by sevilla315 on topic Re: 2850n to 2860ac upgrade, config compatible?
Thanks babis3g,
I currently have 3.6.6.1 though I'll do an upgrade to 3.6.8 on the 2850n and do another backup and restore to the 2860ac when it arrives next week.
Problems with the 2850 were mainly to do with performance, the upload speed on fibre was never as good as the bog standard TalkTalk kit which seems strange when you're paying over £200 for a supposedly superior router.
I got some updates out of the developers however which improved things, but some were worse which I backed out.
The current router seems to reboot regularly, disconnecting my connection, so I'm hoping the new router will solve this annoying problem.
Cheers,
Steve

More
10 May 2015 16:19 #83388 by babis3g
Yes i remember you, nice to see you after long time :)
I see you still trying since that time (2012)
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Superpowered-Fibre-Broadband/Draytek-2550n-instead-of-TalkTalk-router-Openreach-modem/td-p/756970
I am back in Greece by now & i own only the 2760n (similar)

The 2860 should work good with TT because from what i remember they're using infineon & the 2860 is a Lantiq (ex-infineon) so it should not be a problem
I have seen users mentioned the STD firmware works better with infineon but i am sure you will figure it out
At UK download pages they have and beta for G.INP

For the backup should be fine with 3.6.6.1 according to manufacture but personal the first time i will do everyhting for the begin and done (using the *rst* file for upgrading the firmware)
Also you better set / update / back up or whatever else needs (at the the vigor) to an other laptop/devise first & not connected direct to phone line during setup for avoiding all reboots counting towards at DLM

Hope it will not let you down this one

• sevilla315
  • Topic Author
More
11 May 2015 00:37 #83394 by sevilla315
Yes when I saw your handle I recognised it immediately from the TalkTalk forums! You helped me a lot getting the 2850 going and also Youview with fibre. I went through 3 or 4 different dray trek support guys over the 3 years, to solve my speed and disconnects, one over a full year, and finally they gave up on me. I've gotten used to the dodgy connections which they never got to the bottom of despite poking around on my router and providing loads of debug trace.
With luck the new machine will have stopped the rot!
Back to Greece! I bet things are interesting these days there! :cry:
Cheers,
Steve

• sevilla315
  • Topic Author
More
14 May 2015 09:15 #83407 by sevilla315
I copied my backup to a laptop and connected it to the router and performed the update (.rst) then restored my config backup. It worked no worries, then I just swapped it in instead of the 2850.
No problems, it even seems to work faster than the 2850 but it may be my imagination.
Currently working back on TT forum to try and fix a vdsl speed problem but as you remember it's a constant battle to get anywhere near the advertised speed even for "superfast" broadband!
Cheers,
Steve

Moderators: ChrisSami