DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

[2860] Help needed diagnosing problem caused by a game !

• andyhamp
  • Topic Author
More
01 Jun 2015 12:31 #83511 by andyhamp
Hi,

My son plays a game called Planetside 2 by Sony Online. We have noticed that he occasionally gets problems where the game hangs due to what are believed to be network issues. He was experiencing this issue of the half term week so i started to look closer.

It would appear that the problem is caused [?] by the router blocking the access in some way. All normal internet traffic seems to be perfectly OK apart from the game which hangs at the point [we believe] it tries to talk to the games servers. Rebooting the router fixes the problem and then for a while (hours to days) everything is fine... The problem affects all machines in my local network not just one and the only solution i have found is the reboot.

So where can i start ? what can I get out of the router to help me discover what the problem might be ...

Thoughts ?

Thanks ... Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2015 15:06 #83512 by j03y
What ISP are you using and what upload & download speeds are you getting?

Under Firewall > DoS Protection do you have this enabled? If yes please can you post a screenshot?

More
05 Jun 2015 11:48 #83550 by ian_m
Make sure the "Accept large incoming fragmented UDP or ICMP packets (used in some games and streaming)" is ticked on the Firewall page.

• andyhamp
  • Topic Author
More
09 Jun 2015 10:57 #83576 by andyhamp
Apologies that i didn't respond sooner, for some reason i was not getting the notification reply ...

On the DOS page i think it's the defaults ...

All items enabled

Enable SYN flood defense 2000 10
Enable UDP flood defense 2000 10
Enable ICMP flood defense 100 20

Enable Port Scan detection 2000

Accept large incoming fragmented UDP or ICMP packets (used in some games and streaming) is checked

Moderators: ChrisSami