2920 Load Balance and Throughput

• beamerboyle
  • Topic Author
More
03 Jun 2015 09:43 #83525 by beamerboyle
2920 Load Balance and Throughput was created by beamerboyle
Morning all,

First Topic. Be gentle.

I've had my 2920 for a number of months now running on one ADSL2+ (20/1) connection with no issues however my cabinet has recently been upgraded to FTTC and I had the connection upgraded last week. This was the reason for the 2920 as the upgrade was relatively smooth, just swap the ADSL modem for the VDSL one and off you go, same PPPoE settings ;)

My neighbour also has VDSL (80/20) and we decided to have a play with load balancing. one cat6 cable later and now the 2920 has two 80mbps down 20mbps up (72/18Mbps Acctual throughput) connections. his PPPoE settings were entered into WAN >> Internet Access >> WAN 2 and both WAN >> General Setup >> WAN1 and WAN2 screen look like this

No load balance, QoS or Sessions limit policies are set up just WAN >> General Setup >> Load Balance Mode is set to Auto Weight.

We run an ookla speed test on PC1 results 72/18, PC2 72/18. Monitoring both connections through Diagnostics >> Data Flow Monitor only WAN1 is been used. So we reset the router same results. Set up load balance policy for any PC to use any connection only to have the same results. so we set PC1 to use WAN1, PC2 to use WAN2 in Load-Balance/Route Policy, running the tests one at a time gave the expected results 72/18 on both machines PC1 used WAN1 PC2 used WAN2 :D . so we ran both tests together, PC1 65/18 PC2 37/18 Total simultaneous 102/36 :o

So it appears the 2920 won't Load balance multiple sessions from the same PC (this is undoubtedly my fault as I'll have missed something, I'm guessing it's do with the according to line speed setting on WAN >> General Setup ??). Secondly it will happily manage 2 connections when told which pc to route where but seams to have a max throughput around 100Mbps can anyone confirm if this is a limitation of the router? I do have a 3200 on it's way to try this with, would this have a similar limitation? If so where can I find details on this? I did do a quick google and there was a 150mbps throughput for the 2920 firewall mentioned on a third party site although I'm unable to find similar information on Draytek's site.

Network layout used:

Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2015 22:20 #83535 by babis3g
Replied by babis3g on topic Re: 2920 Load Balance and Throughput
For load balance see here
https://www.draytek.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=category&id=383:route-policy&Itemid=293&lang=en

For the second question
When had VM 100 mbps speed & an adsl connection ... it did gave me anything from 70-90 mbps for the VM line (wan 2) & full speed at wan 1(13 mbps for my adsl line)
When i disabled wan1 (adsl) i was getting the full download speed from VM 100 mbps

You can try turn off 3G modem (wan3) QoS / DoS or even the firewall for testing but i don't think will help

I think when 2 wan's are enabled its slow it down
However i do believe if only one wan is enabled can give up to 150mbps indeed

More
04 Jun 2015 19:34 #83545 by the pit
Replied by the pit on topic Re: 2920 Load Balance and Throughput
I thought the 2920 was only good for 100mb through the firewall. Originally it was 150mb but this dropped down as more features were added. Can't find the specs now as it's no longer listed under router comparison. You still should be able to send one pc down wan one and one down wan 2 though.

• beamerboyle
  • Topic Author
More
05 Jun 2015 08:52 #83549 by beamerboyle
Replied by beamerboyle on topic Re: 2920 Load Balance and Throughput
Thanks for the replies it's confirmed my suspicions :)

I assumed sending one PC down one connection and the other down the other would still require going through the firewall so still limited to 100Mbps

I'm going to try this with the 3200 when it arrives. does anybody know it's firewall throughput? it's not on the comparison page and I can't find the info on the product specification page :o

Moderators: ChrisSami