DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2925 and SureSignal

• ullswaterben
  • Topic Author
More
12 Jun 2015 21:40 #83607 by ullswaterben
2925 and SureSignal was created by ullswaterben
Hello - please go gently with me as I am rather new to all this!

I have a Vigor 2925 at home which I will be using to load balance across two broadband lines. The second broadband line is being installed in a few weeks.

In the meantime I have my Vodafone SureSignal, which is a Picocell, attached to one of the 2925 LAN ports.

I would like to set up QoS in some way so that I guarantee a certain level of bandwidth to and from the SureSignal. Could anybody advise me how to do this? I know the IP address of the SureSignal.

I would also like to be able to guarantee downstream bandwidths to other devices. Is this also possible?

Many thanks for all and any help.

Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2015 07:42 #83609 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2925 and SureSignal

so that I guarantee a certain level of bandwidth to and from the SureSignal

Not sure your topology makes sense there. The Suresignal is your WAN connection - QoS is
all about your LAN clients/services or remote services being given a minimum level of
service or guaranteed bandwidth.

Forum Administrator

• ullswaterben
  • Topic Author
More
13 Jun 2015 11:07 #83610 by ullswaterben
Replied by ullswaterben on topic Re: 2925 and SureSignal
Hi there - thanks for replying so quickly. Sorry I probably did not explain myself very well.

My WAN comes from my BT Homehub which is plugged into WAN1 on the 2925.

The SureSignal is a LAN client - it is a Vodafone Picocell which transmits my mobile phone signal over the broadband line. It is plugged into one of the LAN ports on the 2925, and is operating correctly, but needs a guaranteed 50kb/s or so of upstream bandwidth. I only get about 400kb/s upstream (7Mb/s downstream) on my broadband line and if anything else is uploading (e.g. my Mac uploading photos to iCloud), the quality of speech on my mobile phone is severely impacted as the upstream 50kb/s required by the SureSignal gets impacted by the Mac hogging the bandwidth.

Last night I managed to use the "Bandwidth Limit" feature to cap other LAN clients to say 100kb/s of upstream and that meant I had good quality speech on the mobile phone as the SureSignal got the bandwidth it needed. However I don't want to limit the other clients if I don't have to and I understand this is where QoS can help.

I'd like to use the QoS feature - I've been trying to follow the manual and if I understand correctly, the concept is as follows:

1. Define a class for the SureSignal using its IP address
2. Allocate a percentage of the upstream and downstream bandwidths to it
3. Define classes for other types of client as per their IP addresses

However so far when trying this the quality of speech on the mobile phone using the SureSignal is not as good as using the bandwidth limit feature so not sure I am doing it right.

Not sure if I am using the right terminology here but hopefully that makes some sort of sense!

More
13 Jun 2015 11:16 #83611 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: 2925 and SureSignal
Ah, yes, you were right.. I misunderstood what the suresignal does... so QoS is
indeed the right direction and should do what you want - releasing the bandwidth
for other devices if it's not using it.

Forum Administrator

Moderators: ChrisSami