DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Using VLAN with DHCP disabled - Vigor 2800G

• onside
  • Topic Author
More
16 Jun 2015 15:12 #83630 by onside
Hi - hope someone can help with this. I'm trying to create two separate networks here. We have a SBS 2003 server (I know - it's going to the bin shortly) which handles DHCP and not the router. I tried setting up VLAN for one port on which we have varied guest computers using the internet which we would obviously like to isolate. As the router does not handle DHCP, I connected a US Robotices router on the isolated port to try to get it to run DHCP but it of course does not work with the Vigor 2800. Is there a way around this or should I just switch on DHCP on the vigor and do away with the second router(I don't think SBS 2003 will like this). Any suggestions? Cheers
Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2015 15:35 #83631 by sicon
I am not really sure how the 2800 handles VLAN and they are so old but you would probably need two separate switches (one for each LAN)
In LAN setting can you set tags and create IP LAN Alias' if you can then 1 managed switch should also work running the VLANs independently?

• onside
  • Topic Author
More
16 Jun 2015 16:44 #83643 by onside
Thanks for the reply sicon. As you say - it's an old router. I can't find any option to set tags. I don't think this one has that feature. I'll have to have a re-think about how to isolate this part of the network. I have 8 ip addresses from my ISP so may try use one for guest use - not sure how as yet - back to googling. Thanks, Jim

Moderators: ChrisSami