Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 2850 Speed Drop

• geocyberwolf
  • Topic Author
More
01 Sep 2015 21:51 #84255 by geocyberwolf
Vigor 2850 Speed Drop was created by geocyberwolf
Hi All,

I have a BT Infinity VDSL connection with up to 80Mbps downstream speeds. I recently swapped the homehub 5 for the draytek 2850. I was getting downstream throughput of around 75Mbps with the homehub, and am now getting more like around 60Mbps maximum with the Draytek. I am running firmware 3.6.8.2 which appears to be the latest release.

Please can you help me? Maybe I screwed up something in the config which is causing the slowdown.

Below are some screenshots.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2015 19:10 #84282 by mcdragon
Replied by mcdragon on topic Re: Vigor 2850 Speed Drop
I have had similar problems with Plusnet. On the original Plusnet router I was getting 20-21 MBps, on Vigor 2860ac I am only getting 1-2 MBps. Talking about download speeds, of course.

I'm a little dismayed that you haven't received any replies already.

Martin

• geocyberwolf
  • Topic Author
More
05 Sep 2015 19:48 #84283 by geocyberwolf
Replied by geocyberwolf on topic Re: Vigor 2850 Speed Drop

mcdragon wrote: I have had similar problems with Plusnet. On the original Plusnet router I was getting 20-21 MBps, on Vigor 2860ac I am only getting 1-2 MBps. Talking about download speeds, of course.

I'm a little dismayed that you haven't received any replies already.

Martin

YEah I am rather concerned, how a cheap thing given to me by my ISP seems to be able to provide better speed throughput than a proper enterprise grade router. I've also just sent a support ticket through.

More
05 Sep 2015 19:51 #84284 by mcdragon
After reading a post on the net I found something that helped me and might help you as well.
I was fiddling with the modulation on the WAN setup page (for the ADSL connection). Now I have ADSL so the settings might be different for VDSL. For anyone wlese out there I changed from Multimode that didn't work well to G.DMT that gave me 8 MBps to ADSL2+ (G.992.5) that gave me 25 MBps.

Regards
Martin

More
05 Sep 2015 19:54 #84285 by mcdragon

GeoCyberwolf wrote: YEah I am rather concerned, how a cheap thing given to me by my ISP seems to be able to provide better speed throughput than a proper enterprise grade router. I've also just sent a support ticket through.

I would tend to agree but I think a lot of the settings are built-in with this cheap and simple-to-use routers. I am sure that the Vigor is a superior product but its getting the corect settings.
The problem is that perhaps ISPs are not giving us a lot of advice on how to set them up. I am sure their proper techies would know how to do it.
The first line of Plusnet support didn't have a clue, they only knew how to setup their own router which is shite.

More
06 Sep 2015 09:16 #84288 by mcdragon
I have had some more information on this problem.
After correcting the modulation to ADSL2+ (G.992.5) I was getting a good download speed as shown in the Diagnostics - DSL Status.

However I was still getting 2.5 MBps whne checking Speedtest.

I found out after speaking to Plusnet that my line was throttled, most likely due to me entering the wrong passwords in the Vigor. When it wasn't working properly I thought it wasn't connecting because of a wrong password so I tried two that I had.

Moderators: ChrisSami